baby i'm a star

The shift at worked seemed to drag on for Zoe. She couldn't wait to get out of there. Fortunately, she was able to leave early. Before doing so, she grabbed a few treats to bring with her. 

James had been giddy all day knowing he was going to see Zoe again. But where in the world was he meeting her at? He trusted her and decided to bring an extra jacket just in case it got cold. 

They met together at an old library. Out of use, but it has a small garden in the back with lights that still work. 

There is a small swing bench and Zoe waits for him there. 

Come around to the back. There's a garden and I'm on a swing bench

James is in awe of the space, it's torn down yet also peaceful. He sees Zoe sitting on the chair. 

"Fancy seeing you here," he grins. 

"Hey, glad you found it okay."

"What is this place?" He sits on the bench. 

"It used to be a library, now it's just a place I go when I need to clear my head. Although, there is the occasional drunk couple that you can find making out back here." A small laugh is heard from her. 

"No work today?"

"I worked, just had a shorter shift. And speaking of," she grabs the bag of treats. "I brought food."

"Oh nice, what'd you bring?"

"Two chocolate chip cookies and a bacon cheddar scone."

"Oof, that's not gonna make it out of here."

"Well, that's the point." Zoe grabs a cookie and hands James the bag. 

"Thanks." He grabs a cookie too, showing his metal hand.

"Hey, what's wrong with your hand?" Zoe has a concerned look.

Crap. He had forgotten to wear his gloves again. 

"I, uh, had a medical procedure. I lost my arm in battle and was given this." He winces at his own words.

"Dang, that's a pretty nice prosthetic."

"Yeah." He nods curtly. "So, how about this playlist?"

"Right, so this playlist is what I imagine is the soundtrack to my life. Around 200 songs or so."

"Wow. You were very thorough." 

"I'll play just the few that I think are essentials."

"Let's do it."

The first song to play was 'Papaoutai' by Stromae. After the song was finished, Bucky expressed a look of confusion.

"So the song was in.. French?"

"Yes, Stromae is a Belgian artist, but this song really spoke to me. Basically, he is asking where his father is, because in reality, the singer's father was murdered when he was young, leaving his mother to raise him and his sons. A question he asks in the song is, "Who knows where fathers come from?" And I felt this so deeply, having lost my father as well."

"Wow." Bucky says quietly. 

"Totally did not mean to bring the mood down. Yikes. Here's another one."

'Baby I'm a Star' by Prince plays. 

"I like this one already," Bucky admits. 

As the song plays, Zoe pretends to play the drums. After the song is over, she states "I've always wanted to be a drummer."

"What stopped you?"

"Not enough time. Too busy with dance and taking care of my mom." She shrugs. "How did you like it?"

"I loved it. Very you. You are a star." Bucky grins and Zoe laughs sarcastically.

"Donnn't lie to me."

"No, really, I mean it." He looks into her eyes endearingly. After a few moments, Zoe catches a chill.

"Oof, it's getting cold. Maybe we should find somewhere warmer?"

"Yeah, that sounds good. I have another jacket if you would like to wear it."

Zoe hesitates. "No, that's okay. I really appreciate it."

"Alright."

She grabs the bag and stands up, Bucky follows. 

"So, where to?"

"Just follow me."