Book One: Chapter 14

The ape warriors roared their howling battle cries and charged toward the Brave Blood army.

Barry held up his blade. "To battle!"

His warriors cheered as they charged toward the enemy. Both sides clashed and ripped each other apart. Torag and Zena stood near Barry, watching the battle rage before them.

Horde suddenly jumped over the battle and landed in front of Barry. He held up his hammer and smiled. "Are you too cowardly to join the fight?"

Zena charged Horde, but two ape warriors tackled her.

Torag snorted and charged toward Horde. The big ape smiled and ducked from the rhino man's swinging punch. He threw an uppercut into Torag's chin.

The rhino man gasped and fell to Horde's hand feet unconsciously.

Horde smirked at Barry. "You should have never killed my father, human fifth."

Barry glared at him. "Your father tried to murder my tribe. I did what I had to do."

Horde raised his hammer up. "Then you should have died like the other fallen clans!"

The mighty ape slammed his hammer at the floor, sending the lightning bolt toward Barry. The old human's eyes widened at Horde's magical attack, but he jumped over it and landed on his bare feet.

With his long sword out, he charged Horde, ready to strike him up close. Horde swung his hammer, but Barry ducked and slashed Horde's armor, leaving only a cut.

The mighty ape laughed and kicked Barry to the floor. "No ordinary weapon can break through my armor. You should have surrendered when you had the chance."

Barry got up and gritted his teeth. "My clan never surrenders! Even if it is hopeless!"

"Then prepare to die!" Horde charged with a loud roar.

Barry blocked the swinging hammer, but it hit him so hard, it sent him flying across the hangar. His back slammed against the wall and he fell to the ground. The bones in his back arched and he spat out blood. Although the hammer didn't hit him, it felt like it did. Horde's attacks were too strong.

Horde approached him. "You are weak. Why keep fighting when you know it is impossible to win?"

Barry got up. "Because we are Brave Blood warriors.....And we fight to the end!"

Horde shrugged and threw his hammer toward Barry. The old man leaped from the hammer and watched it crack the wall.

After the hammer fell to the floor, Barry dashed toward the hammer and yanked on it. But the hammer didn't move, only arching Barry's arms.

He let go by the time Horde grabbed him and lifted him up.

Zena pushed the ape warrior off her, then she saw Horde holding up Barry.

"Chief!" She dashed straight toward the mighty ape while raising her battle staff up.

Horde turned around and swung his free hand, smacking her. She hit the floor, falling unconscious.

Horde laughed. "This is why you will lose this battle because your warriors are weak."

Barry pulled out a small dagger and stuck it into Horde's lower neck. The ape dropped him and cried in pain.

On the floor, Barry picked up his sword and charged Horde. The mighty ape-man pulled the dagger out of his thick neck. He ducked and sent a punch straight into Barry's stomach as the old man flew over him. Barry gasped and crashed to the floor.

Before he got up, Horde stomped on his legs, snapping his bones. Barry shouted in pain and his other leg snapped, agonizing him more.

With both his legs broken, he couldn't move!

Horde kneeled over Barry and punched him down like a punching bag. Blood sprinkled from Barry's body.

After he stopped beating him, Horde stood up and looked down at his fallen opponent. Blood and bruises covered Barry's body. His bones broken, and he twitched like a stick.

Horde laughed. "You see, old fool? I have already won. Now I will do the same thing to this world after I take the crystal."

Barry reached for his sword, but Horde picked it up and stared at it.

"Nice weapon. It would be a waste if it didn't get to taste more blood." Horde stabbed the sword into Barry's chest.

The old man screamed. Blood sprayed out from his wound.

Horde released the handle. "Now you know how I felt when you took my father's life. I will make his dream come true by cleansing this world. Farewell, murderer."

After he picked up his hammer, Horde marched toward his remaining ape warriors. "Get the Star Crystal and burn this place down."

"What about the enemy survivors?" one of his ape warriors asked.

Horde stared at Zena and Torag, still lying unconscious.

"Take them to our mines. They will make excellent slaves for our new world."