Book Two: Chapter 13

Krysta's lungs burned while she raced down the sidewalk, not caring how much heat arched her legs. But she knew she couldn't run for long. As a Volkian, she should be able to run for two hours without losing her breath. Maybe she ate too much junk food before her mission. Too bad she couldn't resist a dozen kalamaria burgers. It was a miracle her well-built, voluptuous body didn't gain too much fat.

Krysta ducked behind an orange sky car and peeked over the hood, catching her breath. She doesn't see any Krawl soldier pursuing her through the empty shopping district.

She swore the authorities were tailing her from the base. They knew she had stolen their secret plans for their Devastator weapon, and it would be foolish if they didn't stop her.

How did I get careless?

Krysta and her freedom fighters infiltrated the Krawl security complex to break into the Krawls' data vault, where the Krawl kept scientific treaties, bureaucratic memorandums, and weaponry schematics. They hoped they would find plenty of goodies to sabotage the Krawl's military forces and mining corporation. What they didn't expect was an ambush, waiting for them outside the complex after they stole the data.

Krysta was the only survivor, escaping with her life while carrying one disc she kept. Whatever the Devastator was, the Krawl planned to use it to make their economy stronger. With a stronger economy, nobody will end their reign. That is why Krysta must sabotage the machine for her next mission.

How in the hell did the Krawl security know we were coming? Krysta was sure she took every caution to keep her mission hidden from the enemy. Now half of her army was lost, leaving her in danger. If she dies, her rebellion will fall, unless someone else could take her place. But returning to her secret base was the only thing that mattered. She can grief for the loss of her companions after she is safe.

Krysta heard a siren and glanced up. A Krawl troopship hovered over the street while the doors opened on both sides. Four Krawl troopers inside their five-foot-tall armored robots, carrying two-handed cannon blasters, jumped out and landed on the street. Bulky and slow, yet they were very strong in their suits.

Krysta pulled out her energy pistol while shaking. She knew her weapon wasn't strong enough to destroy the troopers, but it should be enough to slow them down.

After their troopship blasted off into the dark purple sky, the Krawls shattered around.

"The Volkian rebel shouldn't be far," one of them stated in their deep mechanical voices. "Our orders are to bring her in for interrogation."

Krysta gulped, feeling a drop of sweat on her cheek.

She heard the Krawls' interrogation processes were worse than death. The Krawls were so sadistic, they preferred tormenting their captives instead of killing them quickly. If their victims survived, they were only left with insanity.

"Checking over here." One Krawl trooper marched toward the orange sky car.

Now or never!

Krysta rose and shot one energy blast at the trooper's head.

His cockpit head exploded as collapsed to the ground. The crab body inside the machine smoked like flesh on a grill.

"There she is!" The others shouted.

"Oh crap!" Krysta sprinted into a dark alleyway, close by.

Halfway through the shady passage, Krysta reached a dumpster crate and hid behind the left side. She peeked toward the edge as searchlights flashed from the troopers, entering the alley.

"She ran through here!" One trooper shouted.

Krysta held up her gun close to her chest. If she was going to die, then she might as well die while fighting.

Suddenly, a giant ball of light flashed close to the dumpster, blocking the troopers. Bolts of lightning sparkled around the strange sphere until the abnormally vanished, leaving three humanoid figures behind.

Krysta stared at the arrivals. New aliens?