Book Two: Chapter 5

"We are thankful for you returning our sacred gem to us," said Chief Jinju, a toucan bird man sitting on his throne inside the great hall. While holding a wooden staff, he wore a white robe decorated with golden swirling letters. Around him, four pillars stood near runic symbols carved on the walls. All his bird advisers wore white robes too, with hoods over their heads. Only their long golden beaks were visible beneath their hoods.

"Without you, it wouldn't be possible for us to reclaim it. After all, we are more peaceful than those barbaric thieves."

Jenny and her friends kneeled before him.

"We appreciate our mercenary service," said Jenny. "If you please, we ask for the reward you promised us."

"Very well." Chief Jinju held up his blue, feathered fingers. Then one guard carried a woven bag toward Jenny. He dropped the bag in front of her.

Jenny and Zena opened the bag, finding sparkling golden peddles inside it.

Wow! That is a lot of gold! Jenny thought as her eyes glimmered at the peddles.

Zena closed the bag and lifted it up. "We thank you, Chief Jingu."

She passed the bag to Torag since he was strong enough to carry it.

"If you like, you may stay for a while," Chief Jingu offered. "We have comfortable chambers for visitors, and plenty of food to dine on."

"Thanks, but we have other places to go," said Jenny.

Jingu beamed his eyes at her. "I am quite curious about you, Jenny. What human tribe are you from?"

"The Brave Blood Clan..... Well, it isn't a human tribe. My father ruled it once. He was the only human among my beast friends."

"And your mother?"

"Another tribe. Human."

Jingu rubbed his beak. "So three of you came from a human tribe?"

"Yes."

"What tribe?"

Jenny glared. "Why do you want to know me?"

Jingu shrugged. "Just curious. Too hard to ask? We never saw a human before in our entire lives. We assumed you all died with the ancient ruins around us."

"I think we're done here. Farewell." Jenny turned and walked out of the throne chamber. Her friends followed her.

*****

Outside, Jenny and her friends stepped onto the lift near the edge of a giant tree branch. The entire palace was a giant tree, standing over shorter trees where the tropical bird tribe's houses hung. No wonder they called themselves the High Green Clan.

While standing on the wooden platform, the lift slowly descended downward as the night cool breeze blew through Jenny's hair.

"Why were you being rough on Jingu," said Huntar. "He offered us a fine shelter here."

Jenny sighed. "I am just tired of Beastmen treating me like some kind of exotic animal! He had no right to get into my business."

"She's right," said Zena. "No one should ask us about our personnel history. We're mercenary warriors, not storytellers."

The rhino nodded. "Torag."

Jenny glanced at the jungle view beneath the night sky. "Is it true my race is gone?"

Huntar padded her shoulder. "No one can be sure, but don't worry. As far as I am concerned, you are one of us."

Jenny laughed.

She never thought of herself as a Beastman, because of being a human from a distant past. But scientists said humans are part of the animal kingdom on Earth. Perhaps Jenny being a Beast girl with her friends made sense.

After the lift touched the ground, Jenny and her friends stepped off the platform. Sometimes it was good to feel your feet back on the ground.

When Jenny glanced up, she spotted a blue light in the sky, growing brighter and brighter. She pointed her finger at it. "What is that?"

The blue light flew straight down toward the giant tree and hit its left side, exploding with a loud boom. Pieces of giant splinters rained down in flames and smoke.

"Run!" Huntar picked up Jenny and raced from the tree. Zena and Torag sprinted behind him before the debris crashed behind them.

They took cover near another tree, but another light ball hit the top and exploded. They dodged the sharp falling branches and sticks that could cut their skins open.

Before they took a break, one energy ball impacted in front of them, exploding as it sent them flying backward.

Jenny trembled across the ground and stopped near a bush. Burning charcoal flooded her nostrils as she rose.

Her friends got up next to her, rubbing their heads as if their skulls were burning.

Jenny heard another explosive and looked up. "What the heck?"

The entire dark sky rained energy balls upon the tree village. At least that's what it looked like.

Houses exploded, flames spread through the leaves, and the bird villagers flew away as fast as possible. Some got caught in the explosions and screamed in agony.

So horrible!

"Where are those balls coming from?" Jenny shouted.

"A sorcerer must be shooting them!" Zena assumed.

Who would want to attack this peaceful tribe? Jenny knew many tribes like to attack each other for power and wealth. But she never saw an enemy tribe rain down magical balls upon a tree village before. But anything was possible in the distant future.

Behind her, a loud explosion rumbled across the ground below her feet. She turned around as a wall of smoke rose around the giant tree. The tree cracked and slowly tumbled down.

Jenny dropped her mouth. "It's coming down!"

Without thinking, she dashed the other way while her friends spread out. They have to escape to avoid the falling tree.

As the tree crashed behind her, the wind knocked Jenny off her feet. She landed into a gorge and the debris fell over her. She ducked with her hands on her head to avoid whatever makes it into the trench. Dirt and tiny rocks sprinkled on her back, but it didn't hurt her.

After the noise turned silent, Jenny looked up from her cover. The smoke debris cleared away, revealing the fallen tree laying across the tree village ruins.

My goodness! Jenny climbed out of the gorge and looked around.

She didn't spot any bodies of the monkey villagers. Perhaps they successfully escaped from the mysterious bombing. Or their bodies got buried under the rubble. A once-happy clan was no more.

Near the tree, Jenny heard a soft moan. She hoped it wasn't one of her friends.

She followed the moaning sound and found Chief Jingu under a pile of broken sticks.

"Jingu!" She approached the moaning bird-man and pushed the debris off him. Unfortunately, a sharp pointy branch stuck out through his gut. Blood dripped from his beak.

"Is...... my tribe safe?" Jingu asked.

Jenny frowned.

She couldn't be sure although she had seen them retreat from the bombing. "I think so."

Jingu coughed. "Good......"

A blue light flashed over Jenny and the fallen monkey chief. She glanced up while shielding her eyes from the brightness. It was hard to tell what she was looking at. Through the bright glimmer, the flying object appeared to be a saucer, covered in flashing lights, and a large blue light shined below it.

Jenny's body lifts up off the ground, floating up toward the flying craft. Up and up until everything turned dark around her.