Chapter 19

"Well, that's great," James said.

Looking up, they heard the thunder rolling in the sky.

"It's about to rain," Austin said. "We should probably go back."

"My dad needs that medicine," James said. "Let's just go a little farther. If we can't find a way across, we'll just go back."

There was a low crash and rumble.

"That didn't sound like thunder," Austin said.

"I don't think it was," James confirmed.

Looking closer down the river, the trees disappeared. At first, James thought it was just a clearing. The closer they got, the louder the rumbling became. Soon, it was overlapping the thunder in the sky.

"It's a waterfall," James said. "We must be near a ravine."

"There's some big rocks," Austin said. "Think we can make it across?"

James looked at the logs gathered on the rocks.

"It looks like they were put there, doesn't it?" James queried.

"Now that you mention it... it does look intentional. Beavers?"

Just as he said that, one of the small creatures appeared floating on top of the water. Upon noticing them, the beaver slapped its tail on the water and went under. There were a few splashes as other beavers unseen dove in.

"Cool," Austin said.

"Their dam should be crossable," James said.

He put his foot on the edge and pushed down. It didn't shift. He put all of his weight on it.

"We're good," he said. "Go slow."

It was more like a wet bridge than a dam. It wasn't blocking much water, but the river wasn't a raging one, either. James wished he could stop to watch the beavers. They might show him how to catch fish since he's never done it before, but his father's wellbeing was his objective. He kept crossing, his boots making it easier to not slip. Austin wasn't as lucky, but he was staying on the dam well enough on his own.

After another boom of thunder, the rain began to fall. James had to admit that it felt much better than the heat. It obscured their visibility, but it didn't obstruct their path. They kept walking. There was a rumble, one that made the dam move. They both crouched and quickly grabbed the logs to stabilize themselves.

"Was that thunder?" Austin questioned.

James looked up the river and slowly stood up. He couldn't see anything, but he could feel the wind. It was moving faster. The air suddenly seemed colder.

"That's not thunder!" James shouted. "Move!"

They skipped along the makeshift bridge. Austin could hear it now. It was louder than the waterfall. The roaring of the river was picking up. He thought he felt the dam move.

"Come on, keep running!" James ordered.

They made it just a the water rose three feet with a crashing wave. Austin thought he could feel the air swallowing him back into the river, but he fell on top of James instead.

"Get off me!" James barked.

He pushed him off.

"Well, gee, sorry!" Austin said. "I'm trying not to die here!"

James shook his head and got up. He gave Austin a hand. They looked at the river.

"Doesn't look like we'll be going back anytime soon," James said.