Chapter 50

That night, Aiden didn't get much sleep. Between Judy calling his name and the spinning top that was his head, there was no way he would get a decent night's sleep.

"Go away," he said.

"Huh?" Vera blinked. She nudged Aiden. "It's too early to get up."

"What? Oh. Sorry. I guess I was talking in my sleep."

"You did that last night, too," she said. "Are you okay?"

"Define okay."

"Uh... normal?"

"In that case, no one is okay."

"That was a trick question."

She sat up.

"Do you want to talk?"

"Not really. I just want to get the heck out of this place. Knowing our luck, they'll have some kind of radio jammer here, too."

"Don't say that. If that's the case, then we're screwed. I hate it here. Earth sucks."

"You're just now figuring this out?"

"Do you two have to talk so loud?" James muttered. "Some of us are trying to sleep."

"We're in the middle of a crisis. How can you sleep?" Aiden said.

"With my eyes closed."

"Okay, well, sorry that some of us just had our realities hit us in the face."

James opened his eyes and exhaled.

"You're not gonna let me sleep in, are you?"

"Afraid not."

"Alright then."

He got up and stretched. Juno did the same, paws outstretched.

"Guess we better get moving," he said.

"We can get there today before nightfall," Aiden said.

"One problem," Vera said. "The dam broke, remember?"

"Oh, crap. I forgot about that. Anyone know how to built a boat?"

"I fix ships, not build them," Vera said.

"I was told I'm not very smart, so not a good idea," James said.

"I wasn't serious about the boat. Either I'm a really good liar, or you guys are really tired."

"Aren't you?" Vera asked.

"Yeah, but I'd rather move while we can. Those freaking hyenas could show up again. We've got Poachers after us. Who knows what else is in these woods? Nothing good, that's for sure."

"Let's leave before it finds us," Vera said.

They packed their things and left. On their way, Aiden felt something, like a scratch on the back of his head.

"Aiden..."

Go away, Judy, he said. "You're not real. You don't get to use me when I'm awake."

"Aiden..."

He ignored the name-calling and followed his friends. From behind, only a few feet away, a snake, not unlike the one Mark encountered at the crash site, slithered into view.

"Aiden..."

The words slipped off the serpent's tongue. Its yellow eyes watched them. It tasted the air, tracking their movement.

"Aiden," the snake hissed. "I'm coming, Aiden..."

~~~

"I'm going in there," Tim said.