Chapter 49

Cassidy tapped her foot on the floor. She couldn't believe what she had done. She felt Tim's judging eyes on her back before she heard his footsteps. He rested a pitiful hand on her shoulder.

"How are you feeling?"

"Awful," Cassidy said. "Why did she make me do it?"

Cassidy looked through the one-way mirror. Sara, or what used to be Sara, was sitting in the interrogation room. Cassidy held her head low.

"I couldn't even do it," she said. "I broke my promise. I'm a loser."

"No, you're not," Damien approached. "You did what you thought was right."

"Because of that," Tim said, "I was able to keep mine. Thank you for sparing her."

She had missed on purpose. Cassidy thought for sure she would be able to do it. It was a split-second decision she chose. Now, she wasn't sure if it was the right one.

"I don't know if I did," Cassidy said. "She might not even be alive."

"If she's walking and breathing, then there's still a chance," Damien said. "We need to find out what it knows. See if it has a weakness."

"I can find that out," someone else approached.

It was Thelma. Cassidy stood up and crossed her arms.

"Uh-uh. Not happening, lady."

"I know you have every reason not to trust me," she said. "None of you do. I made... terrible errors in judgement. I let my brother manipulate me into believing what I was doing was right. It wasn't. I don't deserve your forgiveness or empathy. But none of that matters right now. Sara needs help, and I'm the most qualified on this ship to give it right now. Please. Let me help her."

Cassidy looked at Damien. He shrugged.

"I think it's worth a shot," he said.

"Tim?" Cassidy said.

"I believe she wants to help," he said. "I say we let her."

"Well, it's two against one. Aw, heck. Alright. See if you can get the gunk to talk."

When the door opened, the creature didn't even blink. Thelma stopped to look at her for a moment before closing the door.

"This is an unexpected surprise," it said. "They sent the traitor in to interrogate me. How interesting."

"Save it," she said.

"No, just think about it. The poetic irony."

"I'm nothing like you."

"Really? So your sacrifices were not for the greater good?"

"What greater good do you serve?"

"The one that wins, of course. You see, we are both the same inside. We just have different shells."

"You truly believe that, don't you?"

"What else is there to believe, Thelma?"

"I never told you my name," she said. "Which would suggest either you have been listening to our conversations for a while, or... you have access to Sara's memories."

"Yes, I can see the female you call Sara in her memories. She relives them often enough that recall is easy. I could see how you were able to escape."

"What are you talking about?"

"Humans are elusive creatures, taking advantage of their environment to hide from predators. It's no wonder why you spark the curiosity of other species. Your DNA is simple, but your minds are... unique."