Chapter 34

Aiden put his mouth under the tap. His throat burned, but the water satiated his thirst and masked some of the pain.

"The trees had it the whole time. Selfish bastards."

The water came out in a steady stream. He relished in his fill of rejuvenation. The cup was filled, and he took it back inside. He gave it to Kole, who was already looking better. He looked at Addison's body covered with a white sheet. Austin was lying on his side, looking at her.

"We should give her a burial," Aiden said.

Austin didn't speak.

"If you're feeling better, you can come watch."

"Leave me alone."

Aiden shook it off.

"I can take you guys somewhere private," he said.

Austin exhaled loudly.

"Okay."

Aiden took them to the closest empty room and closed the door. James came out of his room and stopped. He turned swiftly on his heel.

"James, wait," Aiden called.

He stopped.

"I'm sorry, okay?"

"Sorry?"

He whirled on Aiden and pushed him.

"You're sorry? For what? Shooting Mark? Throwing us over a cliff? Almost getting me killed from infection?"

He pushed him again.

"Well, which one?"

"All of it! I thought you were working for Canis, and–"

James punched him. Aiden grabbed his hair and threw him against the wall. Juno barked at them. They traded fists, each one receiving a lick to the face.

"Hey!"

Vera tried to pull Aiden away, but he elbowed her in the nose. She went down.

"Aiden! James! That's enough!"

Mark grabbed James and pulled him away.

"Leave him! Leave him!"

"I should have shot you first, then killed your daddy, too!" Aiden spat.

James lurched for him. Mark held him down.

"Let it go, James!"

"No!"

Mark pushed James against the wall.

"I said let it go."

Mark's voice sounded deeper. He stopped and stared.

"He's already been punished for what he did," Mark said. "Let it go. We have bigger problems to worry about."

James gave him one last glare before walking away. Aiden rubbed his neck. It was already sore when he punched it. He helped Vera back up.

"Are you okay?"

"What the hell, Aiden? You hit me!"

"It was an accident! I was trying to apologize."

"He's already screwed up right now. He's stressed and upset, and you're the trigger. Give him some space."

"Whatever. I shouldn't have bothered, anyway. Mark is the only one that likes me. Guess that's gotta account for something, right?"

"I mean... he's not the only one."

"You, then?"

"You did try to save my life."