27

"TELL ME, WHAT'S YOUR plan, big, bad wolf?" she teased, glancing at the crowded ballroom to her right," you know chaos usually ensues when we stay away for too long."

"Let it," he murmured, leaning his forehead against hers," I wanted to be with you for a second, away from all of it."

"You're cuter than I'd like to admit," she smiled, pressing a fluttery kiss on his lips," so I suppose I'll go along with you."

He placed a hand on her cheek, kissing her back, whispers curling around her as he pulled back.

"It's not like you can resist me anyway," he said.

"Having Alex as your best friend really affected you," she sympathized.

Levi sighed, shaking his head. "I can't even deny that, it was a traumatizing experience, honestly."

"Then it's fortunate you have me now," she chuckled, placing her arms around his neck as she looked up at him.

She could follow the entire pattern of his mask from up this close, the way his autumn-soaked eyes watched her like she was a breath of fresh air underwater. His dark locks tickled against her skin, calloused fingers gentle as he tugged at the ribbon of her mask, taking it off without breaking eye contact.

"Fortunate indeed," he said quietly, lips pressing on her cheek, before he kissed her again.

Right at that moment he was pulled off her by his collar, Levi's fists already clenched as he turned around, eyebrows raised. When he locked eyes with the person behind him he immediately relaxed again, though Ella knew it probably would have been better for it to be a stranger.

"What the hell is going on here?" Sebastian snapped.

Her brother's usual amused expression had been exchanged for a frown, but he always got overprotective when it concerned her. Ever since their father had died he always had taken too much on his shoulders, but though she appreciated it, most of the time she found it annoying. Now was one of those times. Hell, she had been calling this man for days now and somehow he showed up at a ball?

"What are you doing here, Seb?" she said.

The gray suit he was wearing suited his caramel skin, but the knot in his tie was the worst she had ever seen. He didn't seem to have noticed that at all though, instead shaking his brown hair out of his eyes, hand still on Levi's collar.

"I am a man of the people," he said," they invite me everywhere. Now answer my question. Why are you standing in a dark hallway with my little sister, Levi?"

"You mean my girlfriend," Levi said, not bothered by Sebastian tugging at him.

"Nothing was happening," Ella said with a roll of her eyes, pointing at Sebastian's tie," and by the way, that is horrible, do it again."

"It is not," Sebastian said, betrayal coloring his voice as he glanced down," I looked it up on Wikihow."

"You want me to do it?" Levi offered.

"Oh, actually -" Sebastian began, before stopping himself," wait, I'm still mad at you."

"Shouldn't I be the angry one?" Ella said, leaning against the wall," you haven't been answering my calls at all."

"Don't blame me for that," Sebastian shrugged," I lost my phone, so I haven't been answering anyone at all."

"How did you lose your phone?" Ella said," and again, what are you actually doing here?"

"I have no idea," Sebastian said, grip on Levi's collar loosening as his attention wandered," I put it somewhere, I think, but only God knows where now. As for the second, I am Faiza's date here."