Chapter Fourteen: Of Blood And Bone

Evette's new acquaintance was gone in a sudden flash

Evette's new acquaintance was gone in a sudden flash. His movements were deft, and he disappeared out of sight before she could protest. His rotting legs carried him away, leaving her to wonder if he were even real.

Noel was beside Evette in an instant. He dismounted his horse and rushed to her aid. He glanced toward the tree that the impaled attacker was practically dangling from, but he quickly averted his gaze.

"I'm fine, but I can tell that you're not." Evette turned to Noel and swatted away his gentle hands. The cuts on her forearms were nothing compared to the fresh gash on his left shin. Gore oozed from the bone-deep slash and trickled down to his boot, filling it with his plasma.

"How are you still standing. . ." Evette grabbed Noel and allowed him to lean on her shoulder. She examined his wound and hissed when she caught a glimpse of his bare bone. The sight of his blood made her nauseous.

"One of em' got me good." Noel groaned when Evette helped him over to his horse. He tightly clung to Evette and his stallion's reigns. Eve brushed back a few strands of his white hair. She also wiped a few beads of sweat from his brow, unafraid of his bodily fluid.

"You shouldn't play healer." Noel said while glancing at the girl who was poking and prodding at his leg. She knew that he would not be able to ride for long, but he would surely live. The wound could only be fatal if it somehow became infected.

"Why not?" Evette stood up fully. She met his green eyes and acknowledged the low sparkle of amber in them.

"Because, I'll get used to it." Noel sighed heavily. His head began to throb, signaling him of an impending migraine.

"You never quit, do you?" Evette shook her head.

"I see you've noticed my recent advances. I'm surprised." Noel glanced away, clearly embarrassed. The conversation kept his mind off of the pain, but it also brought on a great deal of anxiety.

The look in Evette's eyes told Noel all he needed to know. As she reached out to touch his cheek, he felt her warmth. He was suddenly right back where he was before. He drank in her profound female sensuality. She had his heart, and she stole his breath. The least she could have done was remove her hand from where it was placed, but she did not. She stared deeply into his eyes, and admired their utmost beauty.

"I see you." Was all she whispered. There, in that moment, Noel placed his hand over Evette's. They could not help admire one another. Though the attraction was purely physical for Eve, she could feel butterflies in her stomach flutter at the thought of his more recent advances. Her body and mind were betraying her.

Evette's subconscious was battling with her darkness. It pooled in her reason and saturated her morals. The flaming shadow reminded her of her true calling. It shrieked in desperation, and reeled her in on its cold, bated line. Her destiny was on the end of that rusty hook, she remembered. The allusion appeared true, and she was fooled by its beauty. Her delusion dangled her self-worth in front of her, and she could not break away.