Chapter Twenty Five: Of Fear And Courage

The pit was deep, and as gravity brought Chesare's body down, Evette realized that the long ladder made of logs and rope resting securely against the far side of the pit was the only way one could securely hoist themselves down to the ground, or s...

The pit was deep, and as gravity brought Chesare's body down, Evette realized that the long ladder made of logs and rope resting securely against the far side of the pit was the only way one could securely hoist themselves down to the ground, or successfully climb out. She heard the loud breathy groan that escaped his lips before seeing his body sprawled out on the ground, the dust beneath his body pushed into the air as he met his doom.

The dust settled, and everyone saw the body lying at the bottom of the pit. A brawl broke out between the separated crowds, colliding in a mash of impatient fists. Narcisse's hands slid up the sharp edges of the blades he held in the air, gore spilling out over the sharp metal. He pushed his mangled, bloody hands up until he could grasp the hilt of the swords. He leaned over the edge, pulling one blade back before forcing it down into the pit after the man who had already forcefully landed at the bottom, stealing his last breath as it pierced his chest.

"This is an act of war!" A lunar wolf called from across the way, his fists stained red with blood that was not his own.

Narcisse turned to Evette. "Find Collin, and warn him of what has happened." He sensed Eve's hesitation after a moment. "Find a way out afterward. I'll come for you, I promise." His wounds healed, dark sentient magic aiding him. Eve could feel his heartbeat throb in her ears as the veins of blood that covered him started to glow red. He could feel the fear that gripped her, as she could feel the worry that filled him.

"I'm not leaving."

Fur rose on his skin, his wolf daring to snarl at her. "Go!" Narcisse's eyes turned bloodshot, his body forced forward from the energy of his change. The wolf that he became was large; covered in brown fur that hurt to touch.

Evette did not want to leave him, but she knew that she had to. She listened to his command, turning away so she could run down the dirt steps that gradually leveled as she drew near to the corridor. She ran past the men and women who were fighting, shifting as they did. She was separated from her wolf in an instant, regretfully leaving him so she could warn Collin. Jade followed after her, forcing her way through the crowd to catch up before Eve made her way down one of the dark corridors. For a moment, Evette thought the person tailing behind her was going to attack her, but as she turned, fists balled, she realized that there was no need to keep her guard up.

"We have to find Collin and Jamie." The voice belonged to Jade, and Evette breathed out a pained sigh.

"I know," Eve said in a worried breath. "And then I have to find my way out of here."

Jade grabbed her by the arm, spinning her around quickly. "Take this," She held out her hand, extending a rusty key out to the girl. "You'll need it to get into the room Collin is in. Two lefts, three rights, then a slight curve to the left. It's the second door on the right."

Eve took the key, nodding in the dark as she did. "I'll probably get lost." She murmured.

"You won't get lost if you remember what I said. I have to find Jamie, and warn the others. It's best if we split up."