VI

Weston ended up sleeping on the couch until dinner time, and after I knew he was asleep I gently got up and tucked the little dog in place of where I was, Weston now cuddling it.

I looked up to catch Lynn smiling as she headed for the kitchen.

"Come, you can help me get dinner ready if you like."

"Of course."

I helped her with supper, or tried, cooking was not my strong point, and met Amanda, the youngest sister.

She breezed into the kitchen and set about making dinner so efficiently I sat down soon after saying hello because it was obvious I was in the way.

"So how did you say you know Weston again?" She asked as she put something in the oven.

"We were neighbors in Florida, ever since he moved in next door to us a couple years ago. He and my dad were friends. "

"Oh...I see. Your parents are just cool with you going on road trips with grown men? Pretty wack." She didn't ask it in a very friendly way, and I immediately felt embarrassed.

"Amanda, she had a trip planned to Colorado at the same time as Weston, so they decided to travel together," Lynne said with a slight warning in her voice.

"Yeah, I um, well my dad is deployed right now, he's in the air force, so it was really nice of him to let me come along since I wouldn't have anyone else to travel with. "

"Mmm. Don't you have brothers or sisters? "

"Yeah, I do but I'm the youngest and they all live in different states. "

She nodded and said nothing else.

" I-I'm gonna go back to the livingroom," I said, excusing myself.

Weston was still sprawled on the couch, sound asleep. I sat on the floor and leaned my head back against the edge of it.

I felt uncomfortable here now. They all thought we had a thing going and were freaking out, his mom because of the age difference probably, and his little sister just seemed territorial.

I knew Weston felt an obligation towards me, he was kind, and he had known me for years, but that was all, I didn't deceive myself into thinking that he felt the same way I did.

I felt a hand on my hair, smoothing it gently, and I twisted around to look at Wes. He gave me a sleepy smile and stroked the side of my neck with his thumb.

"Sleep good?" I whispered, not trusting my voice not to shake.

"Mhmm. I was so tired I don't know why... probably cause I didn't sleep very good last night after I gave you my pillow."

I quirked one eyebrow mockingly. "Are you kidding me? I woke up and you were plastered all over me, very much on the pillow."

"What?" He asked skeptically. "I don't think so. I would have known if I was touching you, and I wouldn't do that. I'm not a fucking creep."

"You were drooling too. In my hair."

"Yeah right." Weston started grinning though, and he put his fingers around my neck and squeezed, mock threateningly.

"Owwww, let me go."

"Take it back."

"No, it's true."

He squeezed tighter.

"Hey we all have our dark secrets. You probably still wet your bed too, I won't shame you. Own that shit. Embrace who you are."