Into Combat

Luca couldn't move. He couldn't speak. He couldn't comprehend what was going on. His heart was racing, and his legs felt like they were going to collapse beneath him. The only thing he could do was clutch the stem of his rose with such strength his hands were shaking.

Ercole looked Luca up and down and laughed. This was going exactly as he had planned.

"So, Piccoletto," Ercole teased, though this time his voice showed no mercy. "Who is this lovely flower for, hm?"

Luca looked up and tried to talk. He was stricken with such panic he didn't know what to do, or what to say. He should've listened to Alberto! How could he be so stupid? He shouldn't have left in the first place. He shouldn't have even felt safe enough to stray away from Alberto's side!

"Well?" Ercole urged, putting his other hand on Luca's shoulder and digging his nails into his shirt. "Who is the little rose for, Piccoletto?"

"I- It's- its f-for a-"

"Awww, so nervous you can't even speak!" Ercole laughed. "Now come on, Piccoletto. I'm going to give you one more chance."

Ercole dug his fingers deeper into Luca's shoulders. "Who did you buy that rose for?"

Luca let out a little wail at the pain. "F-for a friend!"

Luca struggled a bit to get away from Ercole's grasp, but Ercole was using all of his force to keep Luca grounded under him. Ercole could tell that Luca wouldn't be able to say much in this state. He could see how pale the smaller boy was, and how he couldn't stop shaking. It made Ercole feel powerful, and proud.

"For a little friend, huh?" Ercole repeated. "I bet that they'd love to receive it."

Luca swallowed, preparing for the worst before standing up straighter.

"They- they would," he responded with more confidence. "And now I have to go give it to them."

Surprisingly, Luca was able to get out of Ercole's grasp with one swing of his shoulder. Luca took a step back, waiting for a response from Ercole. He wanted to truly know he was safe enough to be let go. Or else this would be too good to be true.

"I'll give you a headstart, Piccoletto," Ercole said with an evil smile. "Run."

Luca didn't need telling twice. He bolted off in front of Ercole, his bare feet slapping against the cobblestones below. In the distance, he could see a shadow move past Giulia's window. It only urged Luca to run faster. With all his strength, he sprinted down the alleyway, clutching the rose in his hands, taking care to not let it get out of his grasp. Luca had never run so fast before. Adrenaline and fear powered his every move as his heart beat faster and faster.

Ercole watched as Luca ran farther and farther before chuckling. This was going to be fun. Ercole set off at a sprint, every step being three times bigger than Luca's. Luca looked behind him as he ran, only to see that Ercole had caught up, and was getting closer. . .

"Run, Piccoletto!" Ercole laughed as he reached out to grab Luca. "Let's see who wins our little race!"

Luca realized that if he were to run straight to Giulia's house, Ercole would catch up before he could even reach the fountain. Luca took one last look at the window, before swallowing his pride and turning left. Towards the ocean.

Luca ran faster and faster until there was nowhere to run. He slid across the pavement, blistering his soles as he came to a stop right at the rocky ledge over the shore. He looked back to see Ercole just meters away from him. Luca held up the rose in front of his face in a weak effort to block Ercole as he closed his eyes. He was trapped.