Giulia's Battle

Giulia tried. She really did. As soon as she thought she had escaped, she could hear Ercole's footsteps running to grab her from behind. She had put up the best fight she could handle. Although her leg felt twisted, and she could barely stand, she gave it all she got. She swung to hit Ercole over and over, while dodging his attempts to do the same. She couldn't last long, not in the state she was in. But before his fist collided with her chest, she was finally relieved. She was relieved that Alberto had gotten Luca away, and relieved that she had finally gotten a few punches in after a life of torment. Maybe they weren't for nothing.

Now she was doubled over, wrapping her arms around her body in pain as Ercole's stiff hand dragged her by the collar of her shirt back to the house. After the horrors she had witnessed with Luca, and watching Alberto clutch his nearly lifeless body, she didn't think she could face being back in that cellar. Was it even possible? Alberto was surely going to tell someone, right? She'd be rescued, and Ercole would be thrown in prison forever, right?

Right?

It hadn't been long since Alberto had raced down the hill on Ercole's vespa with Luca in tow. He'd surely find her dad. She just needed to be patient and wait this out. Hopefully it would be easier than expected.

"Ercole," Giulia forced herself to say as Ercole tightened his grip on her collar. "Ercole, what are you-"

"Stai zitto," Ercole interrupted harshly, giving her a rougher tug.

Giulia glared. She wasn't going to let him shut her up so easily.

"Ercole," Giulia said once again in a sharper tone. "You need to stop."

Ercole violently came to a halt in his tracks, sending Giulia to fly forward as she tripped over her heels, but was instantly pulled back due to the grip Ercole had on her. Giulia was terrified to look up. She didn't know that Ercole could be capable of doing any of this.

Giulia braced herself as she opened her eyes and tilted her head up to look at Ercole. Interestingly he was looking out into the distance with a glazed look. Something between terror and pure insanity.

"They were right," Ercole whispered, the sound barely reaching Giulia's ears. "They were right all along."

Giulia didn't want to get involved. Looking at him made Giulia feel repulsed, knowing what his dirty hands had done to her best friend. If it weren't for the fact that he had such a tight grip on her, and that she wasn't hurt, she would bolt. Strangely enough, Ercole seemed to be showing a weird soft spot for her that Giulia wasn't at all comfortable with. Why her? Of all the people he could care about, why her? It didn't make sense. But Giulia did know one thing. It could be used to her advantage.

"Who was right?" Giulia forced herself to ask, trying to seem interested in what Ercole had to say. "Who was right, Ercole?"

Without warning, Ercole tilted his head back towards Giulia with wide eyes, glistening with tears.

"My parents!" he shouted, his voice echoing against the hills. Giulia winced, bringing her hands up to her ears as she tightly shut her eyes. Ercole had truly scared her.

Giulia lunged, almost hitting the ground as Ercole violently pulled her forward in a strong strut back up the hill, muttering under his breath.

"They always said I was a bad kid, that I'd get what's coming for me, and they were right!" Ercole echoed, with a lunatic smile spreading on his face. "I never thought about it more than I should, and why would I? They gave me everything! I was the richest, happiest kid in Portorosso! And I've gone and thrown it all away!"

"Ercole, st-stop!" Giulia screamed, trying to get him to slow down, as she was tripping with every step she was taking. Ercole's stride was wider than she was.