The Savior

Massimo was running, heaving with every stride as he made his way up the hill past Portorosso. He had only ever been to Senor and Senora Visconti's home once before to deliver some fish many years ago. At that age, Giulia had been still learning to walk. Massimo remembered a five-year-old Ercole had pushed her around, laughing as he watched the little girl find her balance before being pushed over again.

But at least he knew where Ercole lived. His heart pounded in fear as questions wracked his mind. Was Giulia with Ercole? Was she in the same state as Luca? Worse? He couldn't bear to find out, but he had to save his daughter.

It hadn't been long before the house unraveled from behind a corner of the hill. Lights were on, but the door was closed. Massimo didn't hesitate as he strode up the path and to the front porch before banging his hand loudly on the front door before shouting.

"ERCOLE!" Massimo screamed, letting his voice echo through the night. "OPEN THIS DOOR, RIGHT NOW!"

Just as his hand had jumped to the doorknob, he heard a sound. It was a high pitched wail, but still very muted. Massimo's mind instantly jumped to his daughter and he sprinted to the side of the house, seeing that there were some steps leading to a door. A door that seemed to have been blown off in an explosion, as it was all gone except for a meek piece of wood still hanging on to a hinge. He jumped over every step there was and ran into the cellar.

"Giulietta!" Massimo boomed.

Through the darkness, he made out the sight before him. Giulia was on her back, holding her hands out in front of her head for protection as a tall figure leaned over her. Ercole.

In a fleeting instant, Ercole had realized who had come through the door and he abandoned his victim on the floor. He squeaked and began bounding up the stairs that led towards the inside of the house. Massimo launched himself towards his daughter, and in one swift move had her scooped up into his arm.

"Giulietta," Massimo said softly, looking at his beaten daughter.

Giulia looked up with wide eyes and wrapped her arms on her father's chest.

"Get him," Giulia said, her voice muffled into her father's shirt. "Before he runs!"

Massimo looked up the stairway and back at his daughter. Giulia looked into his eyes with fear before setting a determined expression.

"Papa, get him!"

Massimo could barely wrap his head around what his daughter was saying. Get Ercole? But why? Why abandon her when she was in this state?

"No, Giulietta," he said quietly. "We need to bring you to the infirmary."

Giulia grit her teeth and pushed herself away from her father, dropping to her feet.

"No! Ercole's getting away! You need to get him before he's gone! He almost killed Luca!"

Blind rage and controlled fear swept Massimo's head around in looping circles. He was torn between his daughter, Alberto, Luca, and the villain that had managed to get them almost all killed in one night. He wanted to pummel Ercole to a pulp and yet, his father side, the side who had been there to protect his daughter, forced him not to.

"You are the priority," Massimo said. "We're going to Portorosso."

Giulai defeatedly took her father's hand and limped along his side out of the cellar. She anxiously looked up the hill. Had Ercole run? Was he gone already? Where had he gone? And where was Luca and Alberto?

"Luca and Alberto are alright," Massimo said, answering his daughter's internal question. "'Berto is home, and Luca is in the infirmary."

Giulia let out a long sigh of relief, silently thanking God they were both alive.

"Is Luca badly hurt?"

Massimo frowned, wishing he didn't have to convey the news to Giulia, but there was no other way around it. With a heavy heart, he explained how Luca and Alberto crashed into the ocean, only for Luca to stop breathing. He watched as Giulia cried while explaining that they had gotten a pulse back on Luca and he was mid-operation when Massimo left to find her.

Soon enough, the pair had arrived back in Portorosso. The streets were quiet, and empty. Even the waves of the ocean seemed to be mourning, as you could barely hear a crash when they hit the wall of the dock. Massimo opened the door to his home, letting Giulia rush inside to find Alberto.

Alberto was slumped over the kitchen table, sleeping over his arms which were sticky with dried tears.

"Alberto!" Giulia said, running up behind him and wrapping her arms around his chest.

Alberto stiffly got up and turned to face both her and Massimo with bloodshot eyes. He didn't need to say a word to convey what he was feeling. Massimo stepped forward and opened his arms.

Both Alberto and Giulia went to him, sinking into his embrace.

"It's going to be ok," Massimo whispered.

*thank you to everyone who's been so patiently waiting. I really appreciate all the love, and all of you who have supported me throughout the course of this story. I know it's been a while. To everyone who is showing their support, I love you all so so much. Thank you for understanding and being so patient. To everyone else who's claiming they've lost love for the fandom due to waiting way too long for the chapter- there's only so much a high schooler can do. I need to prioritize my school work and other activities.  That being said, I hoped you enjoyed the chapter, although short :)