The Results

"We've just injected some Midazolam," the female nurse on his left said. "He should be falling asleep soon."

Massimo Marcovaldo's heart pounded as he watched the boy beneath him scream and struggle to keep holding onto him, desperate not to fall asleep. It was horrifying. Two days ago, Luca was healthy, playing, and smiling. Now he was bleeding uncontrollably, his body covered in the abuse he had suffered in only the past few hours. How was this possible? How had he let this happen? How had he not gone further than to just ask what was wrong when he knew Giulia and Alberto were acting strange? He felt as if he had abandoned all of his children. Like he had turned a blind eye because he didn't like seeing Alberto upset.

Massimo looked into Luca's horrified, yet tearful eyes. He had never seen such fear in anyone before, let alone a little boy. What had happened to him? Who in their right mind could inflict this evil on him?

"Mr. Marcovaldo, we've assessed Luca's condition and our team is certain his injuries were inflicted on him by someone else. Do you have any idea who could have done this?"

Massimo looked back down at Luca, drenched in blood, fighting for his life. He let Luca hold onto him as tightly as the boy possibly could, not caring that Luca was sinking his fingernails into his skin.

"Luca," Massimo said, trying not to stutter. Trying to let Luca show he was afraid. "Who did this to you? Luca? Who hurt you?"

Luca didn't respond. Instead, his eyes rolled back into his head as he took a shuddering breath and let go of Massimo's arm. Massimo tried to control his shaking, trying to wrap his mind around this inexplicable situation.

"Luca!" he repeated, this time louder. "Who hurt you? Luca!"

Luca's eyelids drooped as his body slowly began to stop struggling as the drugs took effect. Before Massimo could fully realize Luca had gone under, the female nurse on his left pushed him away from Luca. Massimo's wall hit the back of the wall as he took in the scene unfolding before him,

Luca's blood dripped off the white table he was lying on, as two nurses began to straighten his body in preparation for what was to come next. They pulled at Luca's waistband to take off his shorts to better locate where the stab wounds on his legs were. The doctor, who Massimo had enjoyed a beer with from time to time, took his tools and bent over Luca's body. He took a large sponge and began cleaning the blood off of Luca's thighs, somewhat surprised as Luca's legs turned a scaly teal, although Massimo had told him to expect this. Massimo could hardly believe it, but he was grateful the doctor didn't make it more dramatic than it had to be. Instead, he took a needle given to him by the nurse and pierced it through Luca's skin to begin stitching.

Massimo wiped away a tear as the full extent of whatever had happened to Luca in the last two days hit him. Whoever had done this would pay. With life in jail. And Massimo would not stop fighting until this came true.

"Senor Marcovaldo," a male nurse said from his side, pulling Massimo's gaze from Luca. "This way please, we have a few things we must go over."

Massimo slightly shook his head as looked back over at an unconscious Luca who was now being hooked up to several machines as his legs were stitched. He looked like he was caught in a spiderweb.

"I can't- I don't want to leave him," Massimo said quietly as he took off his hat, holding it to his chest. "I want to be there for him."

The nurse cracked an understanding smile. "I'm sorry, Senor, but this is crucial. He won't awaken for several hours, but you will be permitted to be there once we're done. Follow me, please."

Massimo had trouble ripping his gaze away from Luca, but he reluctantly followed the nurse out of the room, being situated in a small office the little clinic Portorosso had. It wasn't much, but it had served well for the last few decades or so.