41. Awkward Nervousness

-Sky-

-Sky-

My leg felt a lot better on Wednesday morning when I was getting ready for school. The new splint was working perfectly, and I didn't feel much pain when using it. I felt silly for not mentioning to anyone that the old one was too big for me. I still felt stupid for not even thinking about it.

But, with the new splint, my leg was healing just fine, and I wished Max and I could go see the owls during the weekend. Because of everything that happened with Cain and his friends, Max and I were behind in our project, and even though our teacher understood it perfectly if we missed the deadline, I wanted us to catch up with the others. It meant that we had to go see the owls two times in one week. I didn't mind, but Max didn't have much spare time. The big game with the other school was approaching, and Max told me the day before that their coach wanted the team to practice more often. I also heard that he wasn't happy with Luke, who apparently didn't always show up, and if he did, he wasn't playing as well as he used to.

I wondered if it was because of Troy.

"Sky?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at my mom, who was staring at me sternly.

"Y-yeah?" I stammered.

Things had been a little weird with my mom ever since I told her that I was dating Max. I had tried extra hard not to make her upset with me. I was doing a pretty good job with it, but I still feared that she would change her mind and tell me to stay away from Max.

"Good heavens, boy," she muttered. "I asked you a question!"

"I'm sorry – I was just thinking about the project..." I muttered, and she shook her head.

"I asked if you want anything from the store?" she repeated.

"Oh, um... Pudding?" I smirked innocently, and her annoyance turned into amusement.

"You and your pudding..." she sighed. "Strawberry, right?"

"Chocolate!" I corrected her childishly. "You know I love chocolate pudding!"

"Yes, yes, I know," she smiled. "I was just kidding."

I couldn't believe I fell for that. I groaned and grabbed my bag from the floor. "I need to go or I'll be late."

My mom gave me a weird look, but when I tried to ask why, she turned to look away to collect some files from the dinner table.

"I heard you haven't been late to any of your classes. And you never miss the bus anymore," she said, and continued with a mutter, "Maybe that boy has a good influence on you."

"He does," I said quietly and stepped closer to her. "He's a really great guy. You should have seen him yesterday! He got really excited about those scale models in the library."