(9) What is this development!?

Beautifully Edited By UltiDeduction

I stared at Elliott dumbfounded, unaware that my mouth was hanging wide open.

Was my drink drugged? Maybe that's why I was hallucinating.

This can't be real, right?

Nope, all real.

Asher's father smiled at his son, then locked his gaze on me.

"Rayne? What about you?"

Everyone focused their gaze on me, anticipating my answer. Elliott only smirked while Asher stared at me, his eyes completely void of emotion.

Should I lie or tell the truth?

Telling a lie is like planting a ticking bomb. In order to cover up the lie, characters in a story would need to tell more lies to even more people. Somewhere along the line, misunderstandings would occur. Eventually, drama ensues, and all the involved parties are left either unsatisfied or resentful, except for the two main leads.

I glanced at my parents, who nodded at me and smiled. I imagined how disappointed they would be if I said I didn't want to marry Eliott.

But saying the truth would save everyone from a lot more pain. A little bit of embarrassment is better than prolonged suffering.

"I'd...rather not..."

A long stretch of silence followed. I watched as my parent's faces morphed into disbelief and anger. Asher's dad only stared back at me, his smile turning more forced by the second in silent outrage. The only person who seemed unaffected was Asher. He didn't speak a word or move an inch. He only continued to look at me as a deafening silence engulfed the room.

"What is the meaning of this?" Asher's mom glared at my parents.

My parents only looked at each other, not knowing what to respond.

I breathed in, ignoring the suffocating sensation in my throat. It was as if there was a knife pressed against my neck. If I didn't choose my words carefully, I would risk something much greater than a scolding from my parents.
"I currently like someone else. I misspoke before. I apologize." I said, bowing my head down slightly.

Eliott was the only one who reacted, grabbing my wrist and pulling me away from the dining table.

I opened my mouth to shout at him, but the look on his face was enough indication that it would be something unwise to do.

Once we entered the deserted hallway, Eliott turned around and glared at me.

"Why?"

I ripped my wrist out of his grip, softly rubbing the red mark, "And I have to explain to you because?"

He scoffed, "I'm your fiance. You better explain clearly."

Fiance? I barely talk to him in school. It was clear that he liked Jessica, not me. Dissolving the marriage would be beneficial to both of us.

"What are you talking about? You don't like me - you like Jessica! I don't see what's the problem here."

Eliott stared at me for a while, but then sighed, "Oh, so that's what you're worried about."

I frowned.

"You're jealous of Jessica? I can't ever marry her anyways. Besides, this marriage will help both our families."

Eliott then leaned in and whispered into my ear, "Do you think I don't know the one you like is my ugly step brother? Neither of our parents will ever accept you marrying a cripple. Although I don't know what you see in that prick, if you marry me you'll at least be closer to him. Isn't that great?"

He grinned, "So, we are on the same page, right? If you aren't stupid, you'll choose the option that is in your best interest."

He looked behind me, smirking before heading towards the dining room.

I whipped my head, only to find Asher staring at me expectantly, like he's waiting for me to explain. He gazed at me intensely, searching every bit of my face, like a Grim Reaper bestowing its judgement. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. The words were lodged in my throat, leaving me looking like a fish out of water.

I gulped, then walked towards him, "Asher-"

"So you really do like me, hm?"

I widened my eyes.

"You...know?"

Asher looked at me with a softened gaze, "Of course, I...actually like you too."

What is this development?!