Chapter Twenty - Three

Chapter Twenty – Three

Kathryn stood with her mouth agape at what her Da just told her.   "Ruined everything," she whispered back to herself at what her Da just said.   She didn't understand him, what could she have possibly have ruined?

"Da," Kathryn gripped his forearms tighter as he wobbled, barely able to stand up.   "I dinna understand ye."   She came up to the top of the stairs so that she could brace herself more.   Her Da was a tall man, fit and well toned.   He was out with the McGregor soldiers often training with them.  For his age, he was still a force to be reckoned with on and off the battlefield.

Kathryn watched as her Da shut his eyes and then opened them again trying to focus on her.  "Y-ye went off and married Kathryn," Callum slurred.   "Twas no the way I wished for ye to marry."

"Then how Da?" Kathryn looked at him questionably.   "How did ye wish for me to marry?   We married afore a priest, afore family and witnesses."

"Nae!" Callumed shouted and then braced his hand against the castle wall to hold himself upright.  "Ye married afore the McKenna's.   Only Gavin and Evelyn twas present."

"Aye," Kathryn was starting to get angrier by the minute.  "My brother twas present, along with his wife and my husband's family.   Twas nothing wrong, twas beautiful ceremony.   Gavin approved of the match."

"Ye denied me Kathryn, ye denied your Mother of the wedding of our only lass," Callum grunted out.  "Twas suppose to have married here, among your kin.   Tis the clan of the lass tis where the wedding should be."

Kathryn looked up at her Da now, the feeling of guilt started running through her blood.  She never thought that it would matter, she didn't realize that her Da's feeling would have been hurt that she didn't marry at Castle McGregor.

"Perhaps Da," Kathryn licked her dry lips as she wanted to see if she could make things better.  Suggest another ceremony held here at her home for her parents and her clan.  "Perhaps if Grant and I..."

Before she could continue on, Callum interrupted her.  "Dinna even say his name Kathryn," Callum sounded even angrier now.  "Ye married beneath ye.   Ye..." Callum paused as he put his hand upon the side of his head.  "Ye married that rogue.   Twas many a man better for ye Kathryn.   Ye should be mistress one day as your Mother."

"How dare ye!" Kathryn shouted back.   "How dare ye claim tis a man better for me.  Ye dinna give Grant a chance, ye dinna know him as I do.   Ask Gavin how he loves me.   Tis approval from Gavin that Grant got before we married, twas proper he was in asking."

"Dinna ye raise your voice to me, Kathryn!" Callum shouted back as he raised a finger in the air.   "Twas ye who planned this.   Twas ye who asked to go with Gavin."

"Nae," Kathryn argued back.  "Twas Gavin who asked if I would go with him and Evelyn.   Twas needing help with his wife, he was.   Twas no I who approached Gavin."

"Ye lie Kathryn," Callum pointed his finger at Kathryn's chest and shoved her a bit.   "Tis lying ye do now.   Evelyn, she is weak.  She has made my son, my heir..." Callum pounded his chest now.  "A fool for accepting another man bairn."

Kathryn was confused all of a sudden of her Da's change in direction.   She sensed all the anger coming from him, she could tell that he needed to vent his frustrations.   She would try and listen, try and be reasonable and patient until he finished what he needed to say.  Once he removed everything from his chest, maybe, then maybe he would feel better about the situations surrounding them.  

"Gavin is no fool Da," Kathryn calmly replied as she placed her hand gently on his arm.  "Gavin is a man who loves his wife and wants to grant her, her every wish.    A bairn is what both wished for, now God has gifted them with Keely."