Chapter Twenty - Four

Over the next several hours, Grant stayed by Kathryn's side.   He never left her once, not to eat, not when his brothers told him to leave the room and allow the women to care for her.  Not once.  

He watched as Kathryn floated in and out of consciousness.  Her eyes were glazed over, he knew that she was in pain, he could tell by the way she squeezed her eyes shut and bit her lip.  His heart was aching, for he didn't know what to do to help her.   He spoke to her often, wiped a damp cloth over her face, kissing her hand and forehead many times.  She followed his voice, even in her daze, she always knew where he was.  He had to settle for being there for her and doing whatever possible.

When nightfall came, Lady Campbell showed in a flurry of activity.   She never slowed down once to greet her daughter, her son-in-law or even learn about her new grandchild.  She was told about Kathryn's fall from of the Campbell warriors and came prepared.

Kathryn was looked over from head to toe.  No broken bones were found but the pain that Kathryn felt was noted.   The bruising was already evident on her lower back and upper thighs, a small lump on the back of her head which was causing her to come in and out of consciousness.   She whimpered when being moved into the warm bath that Lady Campbell demanded.   Grant held her gently while the women washed her and gently worked her aching muscles.

Grant held her when she was told to drink a warm tea that was steeped for a long time with healing herbs.    Something that Lady Campbell prescribed to aid her with her pain.  After Kathryn had finished her tea, it didn't take long for the herbs to calm her into a deep sleep.

"How long have ye been married now Grant?" Lady Campbell asked Grant since now they were the only two left in the room.  After Kathryn had fallen asleep, Eileen sent the other women to care for themselves, that Kathryn would most likely sleep for the rest of the night.

"Tis been a wee bit over three weeks," Grant replied as he held Kat's hand and traced her knuckles with his thumb.

Lady Campbell gave him a smile, a smile that he knew was telling him that she knew that he and Kathryn would marry.   She had teased him once before that Kathryn was perfect for him but at that time in his life, he never thought he would marry, never thought that he would fall in love.  Now, his whole life was Kathryn and she had his whole heart.

"During my journey over, tis been said that Laird McGregor is no happy about your marriage?" Lady Campbell looked over at Grant with questions in her eyes.

"Aye," Grant nodded and looked down at his wife sleeping peacefully.  "Callum tis no happy with our union.   Twas wishing more for Kat."

"Tis a shame," Eileen clucked with her tongue and trailed her fingers through Kathryn's hair.  "To use one's daughter as a pawn to gain power.   I suppose then Callum dinna believe that having the McKenna's as allies are powerful enough?"

"Nae," Grant said dropping his head and rolling the ache from his shoulders.  "I suppose tis no enough to satisfy him that his daughter tis happy, that she will be treated well and with respect."

"Tis what most parents only dream of for their bairns," Eileen said thoughtfully.  

"Nae Callum," Grant sighed, then stood to stretch his legs and back muscles. 

They sat in silence for a while.   The only sounds were of the soft even breathing coming from Kathryn, and the crackling from the fire.  Grant noticed that Eileen looked worried.   She inspected Kathryn often, continued to rub salve on her bruised backside, but always with a look of concern upon her face.