Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Kathryn's chest heaved with despair.   Tears streaming down her face as she leaned up against the cold stone walls of the Castle.   Closing her eyes, she could still hear his harsh words to her...."Ye deserve better than me Kathryn," Grant angrily told her.  "I willna marry Kat," he said and then left her alone on the battlements for her to weep alone.

She came down to break her fast a bit later than usual.  She slept so very well last night, she dreamt of herself and Grant, and them having their own bairns some day.   She would be happy living at Castle McKenna, feeling part of their loving family.   She really liked Emma and got along well with her.  Even Jenny, whom she just met, she enjoyed her company as well.  And the children, she melted when she saw them all.   The little ones already called her Auntie Kat.

Kathryn got angry now, "How dare he shatter my dreams?" she seethed out to no one but herself.  

She took a stool beside him this morn, so excited she was to see him.  She sensed something was wrong when he hardly acknowledged her presence beside him.  She thought that he might have been being discreet because Gavin was seated just in front of them, but now she knew why.

She was elated when he asked her to walk on the battlements with him, even more so when he asked Gavin's permission to do so.   She was happy when Gavin didn't mention a maid going with them to chaperone.   What she didn't expect was his coldness towards her, his mentioning that he was attracted to her, but would never marry.   That he wasn't good enough for her, that she should marry an heir so that she could become Mistress of a clan someday.   That he was only a fourth son.

"Ye think ye are to decide my life now Grant!" she seethed to him.

"Twas a mistake yesterday Kat," Grant told her running his hands through his hair.  "I canna give ye what ye want.  I dinna wish to marry, I dinna wish to have my own bairns," he tried to convince her with his poor excuses but she wasn't buying them.

"Ye are scared Grant," Kathryn told him angrily.   "Ye are scared to love me as I love ye," she bellowed the last part out and watched as his face drained of colour.   She didn't care that she told him how she felt, she's been feeling this way for that past several years about him.  She shouldn't hide it anymore, not after she seduced him yesterday.

"Dinna say that Kat," Grant told her shaking his head and looking at anywhere besides her.

"Why ever not?" she argued placing her hands on her hips.  "Tis since I was a wee lass that ye have had my heart Grant, twill only be ye."

Rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hands, Grant turned and started to leave.  "I willna listen to this nonsense anymore Kat."

"Coward!" she shouted at his retreating form.  She watched his back stiffen and he momentarily stopped and so did her heart.  She thought that he would turn back towards her but he continued on with his head held high.

Kathryn wiped her eyes dry, she was done weeping over Grant McKenna.   If only her heart would stop weeping on the inside though, she would be fine.   

She stormed into Evelyn's chamber not even knocking to see if Evelyn or perhaps her brother were indisposed.  She was fuming and wanted the comfort of her sister-in-law.  If there was anyone who knew how much Grant meant to Kathryn, it was Evelyn.  She confided with Evelyn about everything that she felt for Grant.  

Luckily for Kathryn, Gavin was not in the room but Emma and Jenny were visiting as well.  

"Jesu Kathryn," Emma said rising from her stool, her face etched with concern over her guest.   "What has upset ye so?