Melancholic Cherry Blossom

Both sides of the road are surrounded by cherry trees. The trees are now in full blossom, leaves can barely be seen. Cherry petals are floating in the air. Nature is now detoxified with these pure blossoms. The general people of Goryeo now worship their ancestors in such a purified environment.

Concubine Seo never saw cherry trees before coming to Goryeo. When the royal palace authority told her this cherry blossom would be for her, she was excited. Right then these trees weren't carrying full blossoms. She was waiting for full blossoms to get accepted by the general people of Goryeo as the mother of the emperor's baby.

This cherry blossom was supposed to be her ...

Concubine Seo walks barefoot on the road, the trees are now in full bloom. The cherry blossom festival is near the end. She touches the petals floating in the air. Fate has played with her. This cherry blossom was not her. Maybe there will be no blossoms for her in this palace. She is nothing but trash for this palace.

Concubine Seo was not supposed to be alive. Under this purified environment it was just going to be an ending of unimportant trash life.

But unfortunately, she survived, but her baby couldn't. It was too late. She has come back from the doors of death. She wipes the tears from her eyes and sits under a full-bloomed cherry tree.

"I am so sorry. I couldn't protect you, my baby," She breaks into tears.

_____________________________

"Your Highness, you should not come out with such a weak body. You are still sick. The wind is so cold. You will catch a cold," the maid tries to take Concubine Seo back to the palace.

"I am okay. Just let me stay here alone for some time," she gives a fake smile.

The maid leaves her alone.

Memories of those days again start to haunt her.

Concubine Seo wanted to save her baby. She wanted to live. She thought her husband would save her and her baby. It was just a stabbing to her heart when Emperor Sunjong returned the maid.

She accepted the truth to die with her baby.

Everything became dark to her. The east wing, the surrounding maids, the royal physician who was telling her to hold on and was trying to control her bleeding.

Concubine Seo's soul left this cruel palace, she was going back to her little province, Yongsan. The palace where she grew up, the day when everyone bid farewell to her. Her mother, father, elder brother, and her favorite horses in the stable.

Then rays of light make her blind again.

"I won't let you die, Yun Hee. Please come back. No, please," this loud sobbing sound was echoing in her ears.

Whose voice was that?

She came back to her senses after 3 days. The Emperor was arguing with the Queen Mother because of his prolonged stay in the concubines' palace. According to the Queen Mother, the emperor was distracting himself from state affairs for a mere concubine who was not even dead.

For the first time, Concubine Seo discovered she was not dead. Sinjong kissed her hand without saying anything. He didn't stay with her after she regained consciousness. She feels nothing for anyone in this palace anymore. Now she knows Sinjong has more important and precious things than a mere concubine like her. She is just someone who will get obliterated soon. No one cares about whether she exists in this palace or not.

The palace is now celebrating Prince Yeong's marriage ceremony with the Chinese princess. For a concubine's tears or sorrow nothing remains static here. Years after concubines like her have led such lives in this palace.

Concubine Seo stands up. She has decided to lead this so-called life without any desire anymore.

************************