Is Kissing Allowed?

"Is that all?" Concubine Seo asks as the Chief Monk begins to explain the ritual.

"Your Highness, it's gonna be a bit difficult for you. As you have to leave the royal palace on the day of the full moon. Nobody is allowed to enter the main portion of the temple, not even the Chief Monk unless it is an emergency. It's written in several old monk's journals that there's an enormous natural dragon statue with illuminating spikes in its whole body. There's also a natural fountain inside this temple. There's a myth that sometimes, the Dragon Goddess herself comes through the fountain from heaven to receive worship. The year she comes, the state floods with her blessings. The only thing you have to do is worship. We, monks, will accompany you up to the temple door. The full moon will continue for up to 3 days. At any time of these three days, your soul will be replaced by the goddess."

"3 days? 3 days is so long for someone to stay there," Concubine Seo stops the monk.

"Your Highness, this is the only way to do it. There's nothing to fear, even if no one is allowed to enter except the representative. His Imperial Majesty will take steps to make sure you don’t suffer and remember there's nothing to fear inside the temple."

__________________________

Sitting in front of Emperor Sinjong, Concubine Seo feels strange. He didn't send her any message about coming here. 

"Yun Hee, three days are too long to stay alone there. Are you aware that you will do that?" Sinjong asks in an anxious voice.

"What do I need further when Your Imperial Majesty is so concerned for me? You don't have to be worried about me," Concubine Seo replies in a low voice.

He holds her hands, "I don't want to force you to do it. It's okay if you don't want to."

"I am okay with everything," She replies without changing the tone of her voice.

"You have changed," The Emperor says suddenly, making Concubine Seo startled.

"Me? I can't change the people and situations around me. The only thing I can change is myself. If I am changed, that's just to adjust myself. But if His Imperial Majesty is uncomfortable with me, I can do whatever he wants," She says with a smile.

"Is anything hurting you, Yun Hee?" Sinjong suddenly feels guilty. He should take care of her. But the situation always makes everything hard for him. 

" No... Nothing..."

"Stay with me in my palace."

"But we can't have a physical relationship until the ritual, Your Imperial Majesty. The monk said…"

"I am not saying that to you for that, Yun Hee. Does my 'stay with me' sound like I want you to have a physical relationship with me? Can you then stay beside me? You don't have to stay in the same room with me. I just want to make myself assured that you are well served," The Emperor suddenly feels awkward. He understands that Concubine Seo thinks he only wants her for a physical relationship.

"I am being served well here." But her speech gets interrupted hearing some scratching sound with soft mewling sound from outside.

"What's that?" Sinjong asks with bigger eyes. "Eunuch Jo... Eu.." He starts to call the eunuch, but Concubine Seo covers his mouth with her hand.

"They are my pets... My kittens." 

"Cats? Who dares to let them live inside my palace?" 

"Your Imperial Majesty, those are stray cats. They only come on the terrace, not inside. Today it's late to give them a bowl of milk. The new kittens are just so impatient, that's why they were searching for me," she says without taking a breath. She is afraid the Emperor will order to take away those cats from this palace.

"Really?" The Emperor stands up and goes near the door. Opening the door it reveals four small cats. After getting the door open, they tried to go inside. But Concubine Seo stops them.

"I don't let them come inside," She is now sweating while holding the four babies in her hands. They are so small. 

"But it seems like you have more guests waiting outside," He indicates to more cats still waiting outside.

"They don't come inside," Concubine Seo tries to defend, but the Emperor stops her by kissing her.

"Is kissing allowed before the ritual?" She panics.

"Eunuch..." Sinjong is about to call the eunuch, but the concubine stops him.

"What would you say to a eunuch? I will later ask the monk," She feels her cheek is going to be so warm. She doesn't want to let her husband see her blushing. But he makes it easy for her. He tickles the head of one of the kittens and says, "Your cats are adorable just like you." 

_________________________

On the fateful day, Concubine Seo takes time to prepare herself. Although she is behaving like she doesn't care, she still feels a bit afraid inside.

No fragrance or essence is allowed. Only lotus flower petals have been used in her bathwater. The natural fragrance of lotus gives different types of aura. 

She checks herself in the mirror. The white silk robe with the golden embroidered dragon and lotus suited her so much. The maids have made her wear a crown with the symbol of the Dragon Goddess.

While looking in the mirror, suddenly she notices the figure coming from behind.

"Your Imperial Majesty," She bows, turning towards her husband.

"I will keep maids and guards ready outside the temple. If ever you feel anything is going wrong, just try to give us a sign. Take care of yourself, Yun."

"Yun?" Concubine Seo is surprised at his preferred short name for her. She remains silent not knowing what to say.

"You are looking so different," suddenly Emperor Sinjong breaks the silence.

Concubine Seo smiles. She doesn't know why she feels he is going to have feelings for her again. He escorts her holding her hand towards the palanquin. She hesitates a bit looking back.

"Your Imperial Majesty, I haven't yet asked any maid to take care of my cats."

"I will order the eunuch to take care of them."

"Thank the heavens for Your Imperial Majesty’s generosity towards this lowly concubine," She steps towards the palanquin happily.

But before entering the palanquin, she turns back and says, "Take care of yourself, Your Imperial Majesty."

Suddenly Emperor Sinjong hugs her. She feels his arms hold her tight. After a few moments, he loosens the hug and helps her to step inside the palanquin.

Through the transparent curtain of the palanquin, Concubine Seo can see crowds of people and can hear the cheers of the general people of Goryeo.

The Representative of the Dragon Goddess is going to bring rain for them.

         *********************