The Myth

Emperor Sinjong feels exhausted from attending the royal assembly. He has started losing interest in this life. Being an emperor is a dream for every prince, but only the emperor knows under the cover of glory and power how much loneliness he has to undergo. His life is surrounded by two layers. One layer of the uncountable enemy and one layer of uncountable guards and maids. 

He checks himself for the last time in the mirror, after getting ready for the royal assembly.

"Your Imperial Majesty, Her Royal Highness has come to talk with you," a maid announces the news of Queen Mother Gongwon's arrival in the royal palace.

"Let her come in," he replies and signals the maids and eunuchs to get out of this room.

As Queen Mother Gongwon enters, Sinjong says, "Your Royal Highness could just send a message by the maid to me. Then I would meet you on my way, Mother. What's the condition of your health?"

"How can I stay well when your way of working is making me anxious about the future of this royal family?" The Queen Mother says with an annoyed tone in her voice. The emperor can understand his mother is disappointed in him.

"Why? I am doing what you are wanting in which way. When did I do anything that didn't match your opinion? You told me to stay away from Concubine Seo until the bloodline from the Kim family gets secured. I am doing that too."

Sometimes he feels his mother's power is more than him. He has no way to go against his mother.

Both of them fear each other. Queen Mother Gongwon is afraid of losing her power over the state and palace and also wants to protect Prince Yeong's future from Emperor Sinjong's possibly bad decisions.

When the Emperor is afraid that his mother is short-tempered and she takes revenge on her enemies in cruel ways. What if one day his mother removes him from the throne overnight and she still has her younger son whom she loves more than him. This throne has the power to make anyone even an enemy to his mother. There's a history in Goryeo where one mother dethroned her son to replace her other son. History repeats itself here. 

"I never heard any emperor be frustrated for a mere concubine when he has a large harem to get served. What if next time that concubine gets pregnant again? Don't forget the Andong Kim Clan is powerful to help you to save your throne and we have to deal with them to have the Crown Prince. You are still as weak and vulnerable as the Emperor." 

"You don't have to repeat yourself, Mother. I am going to be late for assembly."

"I have come to ask you what you are doing in the royal assembly? What's the need to attend regularly, when you can't run assembly properly? You are bringing your destruction for yourself. The royal tax administration has not collected adequate taxes for the last 2 years. After you took the throne. In the first year, I thought everything would be okay with time, but it's getting worse. When will you be mature enough, Wang Ryung? Everything is getting worse," She says with an angry voice.

"There's been a drought for two years after I got my throne. The rivers have dried up. Everyone is suffering. Last year they still tried to give the mentioned amount of taxes. But this year is going very hard for them. They can't harvest crops. I went in disguise to confirm it. It's better to wait a few months. It's the rainy season, the drought will cut away after rain," The Emperor explained calmly.

"So, this is an excuse from ordinary people and you are believing them. When you will learn those people show constant excuses and excuses to not pay more taxes. You are taking their side. If you go easy with them, they will take advantage. Can't you understand, they have already started saying you are a cursed emperor who is good for nothing. I am trying to save you from incidents after incidents. What will happen if the news of Concubine Seo's miscarriage got out? It was going to be a threat for you. They are cursing you even if you are going easy with them. Maintaining a throne is harder than getting it. There's no history that any emperor has lasted long by going easy with the general people."