√chapter twenty three

Zainab's POV

After getting done with my Isha prayer, I raised my both hands for dua. With my wide eyes, I could catch a glimpse of Shaiq coming out of the washroom. Looking back at my empty palms, nothing came into my mind that what I should pray. Only one thing was before my eyes and that was a total stranger Shaiq since he was back. Getting overwhelmed by everything, I quickly stood up.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down while folding the musallah. As I strode towards the study table to place it, I abruptly stopped in my track when all of a sudden, Shaiq came in my way. He got a little taken aback since he didn't see me earlier. As he was shirtless, instinctively, I looked away from him. Perhaps because he saw my uneasiness which made him apprehensive too, he scratched his forehead before walking past me.

I quickly placed the musallah on the table and turned back to find Shaiq standing in front of the mirror while trying to hook the only button of his T-shirt. Seeing his face, just reminded me of what happened a while ago when he didn't even bother to take a mere glance at what I did for him.

He recklessly ran a comb through his wet hair just once and headed near the couch. I saw as he took out his laptop from a bag and sat on the same couch. Was he going to do his office work at home? He suddenly looked up at me which actually brought me out of my thoughts. I took off my dupatta which I had wrapped around myself in namaz style and put it on my neck.

Shaiq again got focused on his laptop and his fingers started slamming on the keyboard in sync. This rapid typing caused the veins in his hands to pop out which created such magic in my head that my earlier thought of going to bed left far behind in front of this mesmerizing sight. Something came into my mind which actually snapped me back to reality.

What the hell was I thinking? Why I constantly became like this when Shaiq was around me? I ran my finger through my hair as I peeped at him with side-eyes. Thank God, he was still busy with his laptop and he didn't notice me ogling over him. I promptly jumped on the bed while covering my whole body with the duvet, till my head. My mind always used to form perverted thoughts on his mere sight ever since we got married.

Suddenly my phone beeped and I dragged the duvet away from my face. My eyes roamed here and there in search of the phone. When I spotted it laying near to my pillow, I quickly grabbed it and opened it. I flinched my eyes when the bright flash which emitted from the screen teased them. It was actually a text message. I lazily scrolled but what was waiting for me prompted all my laziness to fly away far in the dark sky.

"Oh my God!" I screamed in happiness.

It was a message from the company I gave an interview the last week and it said that I got selected for the vacancy I applied for.

"Woah," I exclaimed in awe when I got to know that I could join the office from next Monday.

I never thought I would get a job in this big company.

I shut the phone as a deep grin adorned my lips. As soon as I looked up, the smile faded away when I saw Shaiq staring at me with a dubious expression. He must have seen me squealing like a maniac a while ago. Without thinking twice, I got off the bed and rushed towards him. I sat on the couch beside him and as per my habit, I placed my hand on his arm in enthusiasm.

"You know Shaiq, I got the job for which I gave an interview and I am so-- " my words died down in my throat when he turned away his arm from under my hand with a jerk. His face was stout and expressionless but his eyes which were becoming dark with every instant said a lot of things to me.

Instantly and without myself knowing, my mind went back to five years back when I was the same but he wasn't. When he tried to kiss me but I shoved him away with the same jerk I felt today. He must have been thinking since then that I didn't like his touch and now for the exact reason, he didn't like to be get touched by me.