Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Third Person

Elliot popped his gum, enjoying the sound that came with each green bubble that burst when the air content became too much. He was currently sitting in the uncomfortable wooden pews of the courtroom, the same courtroom that he has been in too many times to count watching his little Adrian take center stage behind the witness stand. He was quite fond of the outfit she was wearing. Her velvet maroon dress hugged her shape beautifully, reaching just before the knee showing off her smooth pale toned legs. He thought she looked impeccable in contrast to the oversized clothing she usually wore, but he was confident that she'd look angelic with no clothing at all.

Grinning at the thought, Elliot grazed his teeth along the thin green bubble before sinking them in and letting the familiar pop resonate in his ears. As if that single action sensed her attention, her azure irises met his and they expanded a centimeter, both shocked and surprised to see him. The reaction pleased him, but the stiff, stick-like way she was standing did not. He could see the almost invisible twitch of her rosy lips and the way she held her hands clasped in a grip like iron. He could see his little Adrian struggling. And he didn't like it that all these people were staring at her. It fucking irritated him. And he would be sure to inform Sloan and her bitch squad pretty fucking soon.

But for now, he'd be good. He'd watch and listen and play his part when the time came. Until then he'd wait and when it was his turn to speak behind the witness stand—oh he'd talk his tune.

*

Adrian sucked in a puff of air as she pulled her knees to her chest outside the courtroom sitting on one of the many nicely carved wooden benches. Speaking so vulnerably in front of an audience of strangers and friends alike was too much. The harsh reality of the situation was just now striking her, like really hitting her where it hadn't before. And on top of that, she didn't even consider the thought of others speaking on her behalf. Her friends speaking on her behalf. Elliot speaking on her behalf. They were there for her. She was still digesting it, wondering how her life had changed so drastically. Wondering why they would do that for her even though they just met her only a few months ago.

As stressed and overwhelmed as she was, she was also warm with a devastating amount of gratitude. She never thought she'd be able to make friends and the ones that she did make and have at this very moment had to be the best in the world. She was so so grateful she couldn't even express it. And then there was Elliot who wasn't her friend at all. Something else. Something different. Something more. A boy who kissed her without permission. A boy who hurt her feelings. A boy who made her cheeks incredibly red. A boy she liked. A boy she loved. A boy her heart attached to and wouldn't unlatch.

Adrian didn't hate many things but court had become one of those few things that was an exception. She excused herself almost immediately after getting off the witness stand and had been sitting alone in the polished corridor for almost forty-five minutes listening in but removed. She could still hear everything because she was just outside the door but the barrier of the wall was a much-needed line of protection between her and the crowded room. She was glad her parents didn't follow her out because what she needed right now was space. Space to think, space to breathe, and space to calm down.

As Adrian's mind tucked and turned, her senses became alert with the single set of clattering footsteps coming her way. It wouldn't have bothered her but the footsteps were coming right from the room she left nearly an hour ago. Sucking in a cold breath of air, Adrian unclasped her knees and threw her feet to the floor, pushing herself up off the bench as quickly and quietly as she could. Her plan was to hide in the bathroom just a few doors down so she didn't have to have any more uncomfortable encounters and hopefully avoid anybody who might further judge her. Her feet scuttled across the floor in a haste as she tried to keep her steps light and airy even though she really wasn't stealthy in any way whatsoever.