Chapter 42: Jackson

"Get your hands off me!" Lucius's hands dig painfully into my shoulder blades as he shoves me down, forcing the air out of my lungs.

"Where's the ring? Where's the bloody ring, Jackson?" Lucius mutters in my ear, but all I can think about is Millie. She's out there. I can hear the faint song of her voice as she distracts the Death Wardens. She's out there and I'm not doing anything.

Lucius growls and searches my pockets, pulling out the ring.

"We can't leave her. I can't leave her." Lucius says nothing, just grabs me by the collar and a moment later, I feel a pull behind my belly. And then we're in our office at Worship. Lucius pushes me away roughly until I'm half-lying on the settee in the corner of the room. He walks over to his desk and leans on it for support, breathing heavily.

"We need to get this... Chronica. Whatever you call it. We need a plan."

"But Millie..."

Lucius slams his fist on the wood, making me flinch. Outside, the DJ plays a trembling bass that makes the walls feel like they're pulsating. The shadows have turned the room a deep crimson, making me feel like we're trapped inside a beating heart.

"She gave herself up to give you a chance to finish this. Stop snivelling and let's get on with it. The quicker you do, the quicker she's free."

I swallow, nodding thickly. Lucius is staring at me, waiting. I drag myself off the settee and stand up, brushing the hair from my eyes. I need a moment. Just a moment. Millie isn't just a thought in my head, she's the only thing that exists right now, and that's no good for me. No good for her either. I take my fears, lock them away, and then look at Lucius.

"The Chronica's on the statue, but that room is crawling with Death Wardens and they're still searching for us. Did you take a grenade?"

Lucius dips his head in a 'do I look like an idiot' way, glaring at me. He pulls a grenade from two pockets, and one from his coat.

"We could take out half the floor with those."

"They'll figure out what we're doing? They'll know it's all a distraction?"

I shrug, moving forward to take one out of his hand.

"It doesn't matter. I only need a few seconds. I'll be halfway up the statue by then..."

Lucius frowns.

"But how..."

"I'm going to break into Death's office."

"That's not possible. You're not thinking straight."

I close my eyes. My heart throbs painfully, my mind whirls so fast I can't keep up. When I open them, Lucius is watching me curiously.

"Do you trust me?" I whisper. He exhales, groaning deeply as runs his hand over his face.

"Yeah... god knows why, but yeah I do."

"I know a way. I'll climb up the statue from his office. I just need a distraction for when I get to the atrium."

"We won't have a lot of time. Are you sure about this?"

"I know. And I am."

I throw the grenade in the air. Lucius catches it, glaring at me. Focusing on the plan silences my thoughts, makes things clearer.

"Jackson..." he grumbles.

"You ready?"

"Always... what's the plan?"

I swallow, my mind still with her, and how wrong I feel without her... and this is how I'll feel for the rest of time if I lose her. I shake off the feeling and focus on the small metallic balls sitting in Lucius's hands, waiting.