False wall N.R

Your POV
I told Nat to wait for me at my house because I was running late from work. We were supposed to meet at a restaurant but I got held back at work and I didn't want her to sit alone in a restaurant waiting for me. I've experienced that before, and it's not very pleasant.

I fumbled with my keys as I tried to slot it in. When I finally managed to get through the door, Natasha was not in the living room nor the bedroom. Instead, I found her in my home office, staring at a wall she's not supposed to see.

Natasha POV
Y/N texted me saying she was going to be late and I should wait for her in her house since she gave me her keys a couple weeks back. I waited for her to come back on her couch but it was getting boring. I went to the only place I haven't looked at yet. Her home office.

To my surprise, it wasn't locked but it wouldn't have been such a big deal anyway. At first glance it was just a normal office. Files and books laying on the table and shelf, some decorative pieces. There shouldn't be anything to hide.

I sat on her chair looking at her desk, it was an organized mess. Things were spread around the table but they were sectioned out. Files on the right, pens on the left, scraps pieces of paper in the corner.

I was just moving things around, seeing if there's anything interesting when I heard a click. Something moved. I looked to the back to see things that weren't there before. Pictures pasted on the wall, strings linking to different names, post-it notes, old newspapers and maps.

What are all these? These couldn't be a day worth of work. She must have been collecting these for years.

I heard the doorknob turn and there she was standing.

"Nat? What are you doing here?" She walked towards me slowly and cautiously, flipping the switch, activating the false wall to cover up the information.

"What was that? What are you hiding?"

She began clearing up and packing her desk. "What are you hiding?" I held her wrist to stop her from what she's doing.

"Nothing. It doesn't concern you." She shook her hand off my grip.

"Why? Why can't you tell me? I can help." She looked at me in silence as if contemplating whether to tell me or not.

"I'll tell you what I can. I'm not supposed to be leaking confidential information even though I got kicked off the team."

"Kicked off the team?"

"Conflict of interest. My father was the victim."

She started telling me the background of the case, the time and cause of death, witness reporting, and clues that were disclosed to the public. How she believed that her father death was not suicide but murdered.

She tried to remain as objective as possible but the regulation of the detective forces does not allow her to do so.

"I can help. I'll check SHIELD's database and see their connection."

"There's no need to get in trouble, besides the statute of limitation has expired."

"But with someone as good deduction skills as you, I'm surprised you didn't manage to solve it?"

"Maybe it didn't want to believe it was suicide."

"If you want to let it go, you're going to have to take down that wall." She looked at me and nodded. "Let's order takeout. Chinese?"

"Why don't I order and you help me take these down. There is a box over there you can use." She pointed to the corner and walked out of the room, as if not giving herself time to regret the decision she made.

I slowly started taking out the pictures, scrap pieces of papers and placed them in the box. I assumed the large number of boxes in her room is filled with archived files of cases that she was assigned to.

I heard the door knock and her head peeking through. "The food is here already so..."

"I didn't think you would take it down so quickly." I said as I sat down at the dining table.

"You broke it... the wall around my heart."

Written on 24 Oct 2021
Posted on 3 March 2021

This sucks. I was dreading to post it. It was supposed to go in another direction, but I kinda detoured and it turned into something else. Maybe I'll change it to the original idea... who knows.