14. Who You Are

Ria would like to think of herself as brave for voicing her idea the night before on the plane, but the truth is far darker than they realize. She tried to think like Erik—to see everything like moving pieces of a chess match—but it proved useless when it met the crushing weight of Logan's reality.

To Logan, she must be a ghost story: disappeared in 1973, never involved herself in the inevitable battles between what Logan called the X-Men and Magneto, only for her power to be stripped from her and used to kill her kind. To him, she must simply be an unfortunate circumstance of his present.

She knows that there is only one truth for her. If war truly had descended upon the world, they would come for her. They would find her, break her again in any way they feel fits her crimes. If she held on for so long, she would not have broken so easily without excess force.

So, as she stares out the window as they drive up to the back gate, she can't help but feel an echo of that force in the back of her mind while her body prepares for whatever they may encounter. Today is about stopping Raven and nothing else. She cannot think about the inevitability of her own demise should they fail; she would rather die by her friend's hand than by anyone else's, should the time come.

From the corner of her eye, she sees Erik will a metal gate against the guards before they pass. A scoff falls from her lips, muttering, "Show off."

"I know, right?" Hank whispers beside her.

The desire to grin fades quickly as all five get out of the car and walk through the building. This is supposed to be a peace summit, and while Ria knows they are there for peace, she can't help but feel the tension of conflict in the air.

Foreign dignitaries rush past them as they make their way up the stairs. How they know where they're going, Ria has no clue, but they are obviously on the right track with the terrified humans racing away.

"Raven!" Charles shouts as they turn into a room.

It takes Ria a moment to comprehend the girl before them. Raven couches atop a long table with a gun pointed at the cowering man in the corner, and the man who attempted to take her yesterday lies prone on the ground. The shapeshifter's stone eyes soften when she looks up to see them.

The man on the ground shoots his taser; Raven shouts and convulses on the table as Erik waves his hands, willing the metal tips into the man's throat instead.

"Raven? Raven!" Charles kneels beside her, holding her head gently as Ria glances around the room, keeping an eye on the man both amazed and terrified in the corner who could only be Bolivar Trask.

"Charles?" Raven whispers.

"We've come for you. Erik, Ria, and I. Together."

Trask's eyes widen more as he meets her gaze, a smile marring his face as he utters a name. Not a name, not to Ria, but a word. A word that defined her for centuries. A word that ancients equated with oncoming war and inevitable death. After all, Ria herself was a weapon to be wielded for years but not anymore.