Present: Paris: 1869

Paris: 1869

Amy cleaned her art supplies as she took one long look around her studio.

Expensive art supplies bought with the money her twin sends her every month.

The opening of the studio door clued her into someone entering her domain.

"Hello Amy" Amy sighed at hearing Laurie's voice.

"I don't want to see you"

Laurie groaned, making his to the artist, "Amy don't be mad at me. I'm sorry for how I behaved"

Amy busied herself, "Have you been drinking again?"

Laurie whined, "Why are you being so hard on me? It's 4 pm"

"Someone has to" Amy reminisced the days where it was Andy who normally tells off the Laurence boy.

Laurie took off his coat slouching on the available seat, "When do you begin your great work of art, Raphaella?"

"Never"

Laurie questioned, " 'Never?' What? Why?"

As painful as it is to admit, Amy needed someone to express her grief. Normally she would prattle on and on to her twin but seeing as she hasn't seen her in years, Laurie was the next best thing.

"I'm a failure"

Amy continued, "Jo is in New York being a writer, Andy is succeeding in her dreams somewhere. And I'm a failure"

Laurie commented, "That's quite a statement to make at 20"

Amy expanded on her woes, "Rome took all the vanity out of me. And Paris made me realize I'd never be a genius. I'm giving up all my foolish artistic hopes."

Laurie scoffed, "Why should you? You have so much talent and energy."

Amy argued back, "Talent isn't genius, and no amount of energy can make it so. I want to be great, or nothing. I won't be a common-place dauber, so I don't intend to try anymore."

Laurie's eyes followed Amy as she paced to and fro. His mind sees a different March sister. One who wore trousers and was not afraid to throw dirt around in frustration.

Laurie tried to placate her, "What women are allowed into the club of geniuses anyway?"

Amy sat down and thought of a response," The Brontes?"

Laurie laughed, "That's it?"

Amy cocked her head, "I suppose Andy counts as well. I heard she's breaking ground in the business world."

Laurie nodded in agreement, "And who always declares genius?"

Amy frowned, "Well, men, I suppose."

Laurie tried to make her feel better, "They're cutting down the competition."

Amy rolled her eyes, "That's a very complicated argument to make me feel better."

"Do you though? Feel better?"

Amy continued, "I do think that male or female, I'm a middling talent."

Laurie leaned back to his seat, " 'Middling talent?' "

Laurie stood from his seat to the chairs on the platform to pose one leg propped on the extra seat, "Then may I ask your last portrait be of me?"

Amy laughed amused with his antics, "All right"

Laurie inspected his hands, "Now that you've given up all your foolish artistic hopes, what are you going to do with your life?"

Amy stood straight, "Polish up my other talents and be an ornament to society."

Laurie took a guess, "Here is where Fred Vaughn comes in, I suppose."

Amy waved her towel at him, "Don't make fun!"

Laurie shook his head amused, "I said his name"

"You are not engaged, I hope?" Laurie watched as a familiar smile crept on Amy's face. If he looked hard enough he could see that Andy and Amy shared that shy smile.

"No"

Laurie sat upright and prodded for more information, "But you will be if he goes down properly on one knee?"

Amy grinned, "Definitely yes. I've always known that I would marry rich. I love Fred and I would be lucky if he feels the same way. Why should I be ashamed of that?"

Laurie agreed, "There is nothing to be ashamed of, as long as you love him."

Amy took a hard long look at her childhood friend, "Andy believes we have some power over who we love, it isn't something that just happens to a person."

Laurie glanced outside the window, "I think the poets might disagree."

Amy raised her head, "Well. I'm not a poet, I'm just a woman.

And as a woman, I have no way to make money, not enough to earn a living and support my family.

Even if I had my own money, which I don't, it would belong to my husband the minute we were married.

If we had children they would belong to him, not me. They would be his property.

So don't sit there and tell me that marriage isn't an economic proposition, because it is. It may not be for you but it most certainly is for me."

The two were silent until Laurie said, "What would Andy say to that?"

Amy was hurt at the reminder of her estranged sister, "Well, she's not here is she?"

Hearing the arrival of a carriage Amy turned her back to Laurie, "Oh, that's Fred can you unbutton me?"

Laurie did as he was told and watched Amy's back.

He was reminded of a day at the beach when the similar figure of Andy turned her back to him so that he could tie her hair in place.