thirteen ✓ sledgehammer

chapter ; thirteen

title ; sledgehammer

act one ; twilight

Isla was safe and sound in her bedroom when she woke up. Alice Cullen had boughten her home and placed her into her grandparents care before leaving a note—asking for Isla to contact her soon so they could talk. Not that Isla would right away, her plan was to wait a few days (well she stayed in bed and thought all about the people she had chosen to bring into her life — and ignore Alice because she was terribly scared ) and then she would call the vampire up.

Isla couldn't help the shiver that rolled down her spine at the thought of Alice freaking Cullen: the sweet literal angel, being a vampire. She couldn't help but fear something that could happen to herself and the others around her.

Isla slept soundly that night once her grandparents had convinced her to take a shower and change her dirty clothes. They didn't ask questions about why Alice Cullen out of all people brought her home, or why she was home so late. They just simply helped her towards the bathroom and then helped her go bed.

A knock interrupted Islas attempt to fall back asleep. "Yes?" The seventeen year old groaned into her pillow.

"Sweetheart, there's a phone call for you." Her grandmother said as she peeked her head through the crack in the door.

"Uncle Toby?"

"Uncle Toby." Her grandmother answered her question.

Isla jumped up fast, almost tumbling over her feet as she reached for the phone. Her grandmother simple placed it in Islas open hand and walked away, smiling at how happy Isla was in the moment.

"Little me! Oh! I have a day planned for you! Be ready!"

The line clicked and Isla threw the phone onto her bed and rushed towards her closet. Her hands grabbed at articles of clothing, whatever Isla didn't chose to wear was thrown all over her bedroom. piles of clothing scattered all around.

Oh how she was a messy teenager.

Islas uncle had picked her up ten minutes after he had called. He had wasted no time in pulling the teenager to his car where he drove them to Seattle, where he then took her to a pottery studio.

The teenager was confused, he had taken her to Seattle on a school day just so she could play with clay?

Isla didn't know that it was one of those studios where your break everything around you.

Her uncle Tobias could see it clear as day. The hidden pain caused from her parents and from the idea of having to get married as a teenager. He saw it all, and more then Isla even noticed she was carrying. So his best choice was to take her somewhere where she could break anything she could set her eyes on.

And that place was now right in front of her.

"Let's go."

═════════════════

Isla screamed loudly as she brought the sledgehammer down onto a pile of plates. The two Wilson's watched as the white ceramic painted plates shattered. Isla dropped to her knees, the sledgehammer clanging to the floor.

Tobias stood a few steps away as he watched his niece take a deep breath before grabbing the sledgehammer and swinging wildly at other things in the room. He watched as the metal sledgehammer was thrown into the wall.

That was the last straw for his niece.

Isla dropped down to her knees once again. Her shoulders shaking with sobs. The few words her uncle couldn't understand tumbled from her lips.

Tobias crouched down near his niece and wrapped his arms loosely around her. He held the teenager close as she cried. Toby rubbed his hand up and down his nieces back in a comforting way which calmed down her loud cries.

"Shhh. It's okay. It's okay." Tobias helped his niece up once he noticed that she wasn't crying or wailing anymore. Of course there were a few sniffles here and there but he decided that they could leave now that Isla didn't need to be in the studio anymore.

Isla wasn't broken. She was strong. But she had her days just like everyone else.

— And her day was today.

She was just so overwhelmed by the fact that Alice Cullen, the girl who gave her bandaids or answers to a question was a vampire. And that her father had shown up, or the fact that her parents wanted to come get her and bring her home so she could continue on with a marriage. Or how much the wedding dress that hanged deep in her closet haunted her.

She had been bottling everything up, until it all overflowed. Emotions hit her like a truck at this very time. They hit and hit her until she was practically unrecognizable because of the red rosy nose, or the tear stain cheeks, or the puffy blood shot eyes that were surrounded by her running mascara. She looked like a train wreck, not that anyone would ever tell her.

If Alice was there she would have told the human that she was beautiful and that this showed she had been strong for too long. And maybe she was right.

Isla had been strong for too long, and her uncle noticed. Of course her grandparents noticed too, but they didn't know how to ask her, or handle what would be said if Isla blew up.

Isla ran away, she flew away from her parents, any friends she had, and her boyfriend— fiancé. Then once she had gotten settled into Forks she pushed herself to get a job serving coffee, all well trying to get good grades in school.

The longer she had become friends with Alice Cullen, the more she pushed down the feelings she held for the pixie like girl.

Yes, Isla had feelings for the pixie like girl (or vampire) but never acted on it. Maybe she didn't do anything because she wasn't sure how Alice would react, or maybe it had to do with the fact she hated labels and didn't want to be labeled girlfriend no matter how much she liked Alice.

And then finding out Alice was a vampire, was her last straw. She let the emotions pour until she was empty.