Chapter 18

Lydia's POV:

The nights here were gorgeous.

I could see so many more stars here lighting up the sky than I could at my little village.

There was even a spot where they all looked to cluster together and shine streaks of clouded yellow across the deep blue.

Absolutely beautiful.

Dad would love it here.

I felt myself sigh at that thought, letting my eyes flutter shut and take in the sounds around me.

The crickets tuning in the tall grass, the owls hooting from the surrounding forest, and the sound of the running stream that ran beside the stairs of Luka's house I was currently sitting on.

Still with the occasional crunching of foliage beneath large paws or footsteps.

This place was bustling while the sun was out, and even now it seemed just as busy yet impressively so much quieter now that it was dark.

With wolves being nocturnal, it made sense.

Wait... so when do they sleep...?

The thought of sleep made me realize the tired urge that was crawling over me and pulled out a yawn.

This day had been an eventful one and truly went a lot better than I had initially thought.

I always thought that I wasn't much of a people person, but it never occurred to me that maybe I just wasn't hanging around the right people.

Or werewolves... Lycans... whatever they were.

With the day I'd spent with Eren, she gave brief introductions to many of the people we passed

Half of which were wolves, so I don't think I'll be recognizing any of them as humans.

Either way, it was pleasant. They were pleasant. This entire place was in a way I couldn't yet put my finger on.

Well, all except for that one tiny... encounter, but it would have to be possible for any place to be one hundred percent perfect.

That familiar bloom in my chest told me that he had his eyes on me, causing me to open my eyes.

I had to assume these people had some sort of night vision because other than the moon, stars, and some light leaking through some window, there wasn't any outside light source.

Which is why I just assumed that the approaching silhouette had to have been Luka.

I rose to my feet as he got close enough for the light from his house to confirm it, lips rising into a smile.

He carried what looked to be a similar wicker basket to the one Erin carried produce in, pausing at the start of the steps.

"So? how do you like the view?" he asked motioning to the sky.

I spared another look at it.

"It's breathtaking," I admitted. Eyes falling back down to him.

The light combining from the house reflected off of his white hair in a way that nearly made it look golden as it whipped in the cool night breeze.

"How did you find this place?" I wondered.

"I just got really lucky," he responded, not taking a single ounce of credit.

Despite how much I've heard everyone here give him.

He nodded towards the door, "Let's head inside. You're probably exhausted."