Chapter 3

A/N: The beautiful picture above of our main boi was also created by @phoebjoydawolf on insta ;)

~~~

I lazily strolled into town, hands in my pockets as I followed the gravel path.

Our little house was built further up the subtle inclined land that this village built itself upon, and thus made for a short journey when it came to purchasing anything from the Bazar.

Although with the view of the grassy plains behind our little plot of land, I hardly ever minded.

I rubbed the silver coins in my pocket between my fingers, making my way towards the butcher in hope that they had something other than livestock.

Dad sent me to retrieve something for the wolf to eat while he collected some blood samples and whatever else he may need before the beast came to.

He offered to let me do some of it, but I politely declined since every time I even looked at it, my heart began to race.

I felt like I needed to get out alone and get some fresh air to allow myself to think and make some sense out of whatever happened to me earlier.

Or at all around that thing.

What kind of physiological response to something leads you to getting shocked whenever you touch it?

What in general leads to something like that?

Not to mention that weird tingling and pull at my chest.

I pressed the palm of my hand against my forehead, deciding that maybe I just needed to not think about it for a while.

The mixed sounds of hooves on the cobbled road, bleating sheep, and people talking amongst themselves grew louder with each step

I caught the odd looks from some people as I made my way through the stone cottages and weaved out of the way of people passing with their bovine.

I wasn't exactly favored much as an individual around these parts.

Maybe favored isn't the right word, more like just viewed extremely different from the rest.

Many girls my age here wore purely tight and frilly dresses that effected in showing off their breasts and shrunk down their waists in an effort to attract a man to their family.

The families that seemed to only view their daughters as an item to be won over in exchange for acquiring a strong man.

I for one couldn't stand to even look at corsets let alone wear one.

I tried it once when I was younger, before deciding that I actually enjoyed my ability to breathe. I even tried the thick dresses but found them so constricting and just overall in the way.

I also grew greater respect for the girls out there that seemed to wear them all day every day.

It was a difference between them and me, but a difference I could respect.

Who wouldn't respect someone's choice to sit back with a life of luxury?

Although they could never seem to be able to respect mine.

I found that many of them end up like that because its thrust upon them at a young age.

It became an expectation for them.

Lucky for me I was blessed with a father who let me explore many things and figure out what I wanted to myself, and I found joy in aiding him in his work.

In building and exploring and learning.

And wearing pants.

This difference never leads to any physical backlash toward me or him, but we were still greatly aware of it.

And we chose to accept it and move on.

I spotted the sign of the butcher, carefully tiptoeing around a couple of chickens and an awfully angry rooster before climbing up the brick steps.

The little bell above the door jingled as I stepped in, causing a head from behind the counter to lift.

I smiled as I met her eye.

"Good morning, Briar," I gleamed, hearing the bell once more as the door closed.

The older woman's grey brows rose in recognition, lips parting into a partially toothless smile.

"Lydia, my dear its been forever!" She gushed, wiping her hands on her apron as I approached.

Blair was one of the few people here that I could consider a friend.

She used to watch over my dad when he was younger, and even helped him watch me when he needed the extra help.

Her family has owned this butcher basically since this town sprouted.

The ownership had been passed to her ever since husband's passing, and on top of the meat that the ranchers send in, her three sons go out and do the hunting for wild game.

All while she prepares the meats.

She had a lot of will and energy for such an old woman.

"I know, usually we're pretty good with managing our own food, but something came up and we need your assistance," I explained, pulling the silver from my pocket.

She eyed it before I set them down on the counter.

"That Oliver," She let out a huff, "Always sending his daughter to do the shopping while he does all the fun stuff during the beginning of spring, eh?"

I laughed silently, wondering what she would have to say if she knew just what we had brought back to town.

"Believe me, he gave me the option and I decided to do this."

It was an easy choice given the fact that I apparently couldn't even touch the damn thing.

"Well, it is what it is. I'll give him an earful about it the next time I see him. What are you looking for today?"

"Umm," I looked around at the meat hanging behind her, "Any chance you have any venison?"

"Venison?" She repeated my odd request.

I just nodded.

She hummed for a moment.

"Let me check real quick," She spoke before hobbling over to the room in the back.

Her head popped back into the room I was in after about two minutes.

"One of the boys must have dropped some off a little bit ago. Its been all drained out of blood, but I haven't gotten around to preparing it yet."

"Oh, that's fine I can take a bit of it as it is," I responded.

I doubted the wolf would care either way.

"You sure?"

I nodded, "Definitely. I won't be the one eating it anyway."

Her eyes narrowed and lips puckered, probably debating whether to question me deeper or just leave it.

She knew the kinds of things my father and I did, and although she didn't say anything, I knew that sometimes she thought we were crazy.

She probably knew we had brought back some sort of predator.

"Alright," She finally said before disappearing into the back again.

She returned surprisingly quickly, what looked like the entire torso of a buck wrapped neatly in some cloth.

She even tied on a little makeshift strap to help me carry it.

I pushed the silver further towards her as she handed off the meat.

"You be careful now," She instructed, setting the coins into the pocket of her apron, "Don't go letting whatever rabid animal you brought back hurt you."

I sent her back a knowing smile as soon as I reached the door.

"You know I'm always careful."