17. Ghost in a Shell

"Shit, shit, f*ck, b*lls, ..." muttered the boy, with a shocked Annette holding his hand.

"Daniel? My Lord?" she asked worriedly.

But unfortunately for her, the one in Daniel's body was Jon. After the attack, the Captain's consciousness disappeared, and Jon was left alone in the boy's mind. Wanting or not, he took over the body.

"Captain, I hope you are not fucking dead because I'll hunt you down in the afterlife and kill you again," said Jon in Daniel's voice.

"Daniel, you need to concentrate. Who is this Captain? Are you talking about sir Robert? You don't make sense. We need to go," pleaded Annette.

"OK, OK! Give me a sec. I haven't driven a meat suit for many years!" Daniel said, talking gibberish again.

"Dark power that kills people come forward!" he said, trying to activate the powers of the Captain. Unfortunately, he was not Death's Favorite Child, so the powers bestowed by the God of Death would not work for him. After multiple efforts, replicating every superhero cry he could remember, he realized that the dark powers were not part of Daniel but the Captain.

"Shit," Daniel exclaimed, "We need to do it the hard way."

He removed a weird-looking contraption from his storage ring. It looked like a short chunky rod but with weird symbols carved all over it.

"Burn bitch!" he activated the device, and flames came out the other side with tremendous force. It was Jon's remake of a flamethrower. He made it one day after Daniel fell into a nest of spider-beasts near the Endless Forest. He kept saying something about Hanz, but the Captain didn't understand. He finally forced the Captain to use it to burn down the best, but that's another story.

The first to get hit by the flames was the priest. Unaware of what was happening behind the carriage, he watched the battle between the guards, amused. The priest, unable to react, was consumed by flames and started screaming. The Duke's right-hand man jumped back, and his eyes widened with shock. The boy survived again! Their intelligence didn't say anything about Lord Thanatos being a fire elementalist! The fire from the boy was so hot that the priest, along with the carriage, quickly turned to ashes.

"Get back, everyone, wait for the mages!" yelled the man. They were not prepared to take on a fire elemental mage. But they had hidden reinforcements nearby with mages.

A few moments later, both the Duke's and Daniel's reinforcements arrived, and a fierce fight broke out. Jon used a series of devices hidden in the storage ring to create protective wards and attack the enemy with fire and water, but the mages on the Duke's side were experienced and defended against the attacks.

'I hope we survive until the Captain returns,' thought Jon, unleashing the next attack.

= * =

A young man was sitting on a chair on the pier, looking at the twilight

A young man was sitting on a chair on the pier, looking at the twilight. This is the same place he used to come to after particular challenging missions. But, what type of missions did he do? He didn't remember. He didn't know how he got here either, but it was soothing and peaceful.

"Hi, what's your name? Mine is Daniel," said a little boy who appeared out of nowhere and sat beside him.

'Daniel?' that's a familiar name, thought the young man. He turned around, trying to find the boy's parents. However, everything was fuzzy, like his peripheral view was pixelated.

"How did you get here?" asked the young man.

"Mmm. I've been here for quite some time, Captain," answered the boy smiling at him.

'Captain? Is that me? I don't remember anything before being here,' thought the young man and turned his gaze to the setting sun.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" asked the little boy that called himself Daniel.

"Maybe... But I'm tired," answered the young man.

There was a nagging sensation inside him telling him he should leave, that someone was waiting for him, that there was something he had to do. But he was so tired, and it was so serene here.

"I understand. But you need to get back soon. I can't keep this up for long," said the boy, and his voice cracked. He was also becoming pixelated like he was losing focus.

"Why can't I find peace?" asked the young man with a calm voice.

"No rest for the wicked, I guess?" chuckled the boy, but his eyes were sympathetic.

"I need to go now," said the young man. He stood up and added, "Don't worry, I'll take care of her."

"Helena... Is she all right?" uttered the boy.

"Yes. Don't worry," the young man walked to the pier's edge and turned around.

"By the way, it's Cain -- I think. My name," he said as he fell backward into the water.

The entire area started crumbling like a glass reflection that got smashed into a thousand pieces.

"So, you remember," said the boy with a peculiar smile on his face. That's the last thing he said before the void swallowed him.

= * =

"Shit, shit, shit!" said Jon using his final magic crystal. He took a sword from the floor, passed a dagger to Annette, and prepared himself to die, again.

He suddenly stood still and said with a booming voice, "Well, it was about time! You f*cking sleeping beauty!", before his purple eyes turned back to their normal black color.

The Captain looked at the scene ahead. Six of his special unit men held off 20 of Duke's soldiers. Behind him, Annette was holding a dagger close to her chest and looking at him with a frightened look.

Immediately, his eyes turned black, and two curved swords formed in his hands. Foes and allies alike stopped fighting and turned to the source of the chilling sensation. Shock, fear, alarm, the Duke's soldiers pulled back and waited for orders.

They didn't get any, though. The boy dashed towards them with an inhuman speed. Raised shields, and swords wielding, but nothing could stop the onslaught. In less than 30 seconds, none of the Duke's men was alive anymore.

"I thought you died! And then you acted like crazy! And I was scared! And..." Annette sniffed as she hugged Daniel.

And I was all alone! And I didn't know what to do! And it was cold and scary! continued the voice of Jon in Daniel's mind.

"Let's go back. Pick our injured and dead," said Daniel. Too many of his people died today because he became soft. This was not over, not by a long shot. The Duke would pay dearly.

[A/N: Hey all, building up for the big fight!]