16

I left the book in the same spot as before as I grabbed what Jake needed.

For it has been complete
The lovers may now fleet

What has been complete? Did Jake fall in love with one of the girls at the ball? Was my mission to save them?

Thousands of questions were flying through my head as I approached Jake.
"Are you okay?" He asked. "You don't look so well"

"Yeah I'm…..fine." I said slowly.

"How about you run to the bathroom and calm down." He dismissed. I bowed in response as I headed down the hallway. Just as I was about to open the door to the bathroom, I heard a conversation and decided to listen.

"No, none of them have shown interest in her. Not a single prince or even one of their gentlemen-in-waiting." A man said very angrily.

Another voice spoke. "She is beautiful. These princes don't understand how good they have it. How could they reject her? How could they think she isn't beautiful?"

"They will regret this. They will regret ever putting a woman like her down."
I heard rustling as I hid behind a wall to see two men walk about. As one of the coats moved to the side, I saw a bit of it eating out. A gun, an old fashioned gun.

My breath caught in my throat. I tried hard not to scream, but the idea flashed in my mind of Jake getting hurt. I can't let that happen.

After a few seconds I walked back into the room and looked around and saw what looked like the two men that left the bathroom. The two of them were staring lovingly at the most hideous woman I've ever seen.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't normally think many people are ugly, but she was different. Her yellow teeth matched the sower scowl on her face,  and even when she tried to smile at someone it looked like a menacing glare.

I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, until I saw her put something in a strangers pocket. She then ran over to the 2 men madly in love with her (for reasons I don't understand) and she pointed to the stranger saying they stole something from her. She even cried!

That liar.

The men got angry as they went up to the stranger and called them outside. Just as they were leaving, I saw the man reaching for the gun in his coat.

Without hesitation, I sprinted over to the princes and the gentlemen-in-waiting. I had to save them, yes, but more importantly I had to save him.
Jake.