Chapter 13: The Secret Assessment

BRANDON

The moment we were seated on Grey's bed, Brother Landon didn't beat around the bush and quickly said what was needed to be said.

"It sounds crazy, but perhaps, you must have yours as well... Ava's farewell gift..." Brother Landon said and procured a silk envelope from his jacket. He carefully laid the contents on the bed – Ava's handwritten card addressed to him and five handmade bookmarks. All of us recognized the blue silk threads, the pressed white roses, pink daffodils and blue hydrangea petals, flowers that Ava had picked herself from the front garden of the main house.

Greyson gazed at the bookmarks and heaved a huge sigh. He reminded me of my own reaction earlier.

Before the two of us went to Grey's room, Brother Landon went to me first. It had been an hour at most since Brother Landon visited my room and asked me a single question.

"Do you know who Ava is?"

That single question had cleared up all my doubts for the past two days and I couldn't have been more grateful to hear it.

I had been out of my mind, searching alleyways for a red-blonde girl, even lying about going early to swordsmanship lessons. The fact that Mother did not return home with Ava on the day she was supposed to show up in our house horrified me. It was as if she never existed but the sword ornament and hand-written card in my hands were unyielding proof of her existence. Thus I must find her. I know I must find her. But there was no trace of her. And just as I was about to go crazy, Brother Landon knocked on my door and revealed that he too remembers Ava and had her mementos with him as well.

I opened the box in my hand to show them what I have. The sword ornament with flaming red silk threads and hanging gems with a wooden pendant, clumsily carved with the family's crest of an eagle surrounded by gladiolus blooms.

Grey looked dumbfounded but pulled himself together to show us the silk scarf he got from Ava.

"I was just guessing since the two of you had been acting strange. But it looks like I'm not the only one who suddenly woke up with Ava's gift and card on my hand... Clearly, this is eight years in the past. What was it that happened? What is this situation?" Brother Landon said as he looked at our farewell gifts huddled in the middle of the bed.

Looking at the two of them, they had no idea of what sparked this supernatural phenomenon. But I do... I remember something apart from the memories of the future we had lived eight years from now; something uncanny, unearthly, something magical but absolutely horrifying.

I had been a bit hesitant to bring it up, but I know I have to. Thus, I opened my mouth to speak. "I remember something strange before I woke up here two days ago... I can only remember bits and pieces, but I ran into a strange man while visiting Ava's grave," I told them.

"A strange man in Ava's grave?" Brother Landon repeated and looked thoughtful.

After Lottie's matters had been dealt with, we bought a flower garden at the border of the capital to serve as Ava's resting place. We called it 'Averly Blooms' and Ava's ashes were scattered all over the ground where we constructed the headstone. We visit the grave at least once a week, either alone or with each other.

"Honestly, I don't know if it actually happened or if it was all a dream... It was very peculiar but the sensations were vivid... The strange man had white hair, with a long braid at one side. He had silver eyes and golden clothes I've never seen before," I told them.

I looked up just in time to see the change of expression on my brothers' faces. As if a switch had been turned inside his head, Brother Landon's eyes widened in realization as if remembering something.