Chapter 8: A Plan Gone Wrong

AVA

Kathy poured another cup of quince tea for me. "Thank you," I said, giving her a small smile before taking the cup.

"You've been eating so well nowadays, milady... Mr. Chester is delighted," she remarked as she cleaned up the empty dishes on the table. The Duke is not in the manor today thus I opted to eat lunch inside my room.

"Mr. Chester's cooking is very delectable and light on the stomach..." I commented, pertaining to the chef who was hired the same time that Kathy and the other servants started their post. He was especially scouted to attend to my 'special needs' which was actually just a regimen for my diet that Sir Pearson provided.

"He told us that it is very easy to get used to the Lady's eating habits... He was a little shocked during the first weeks and said that he had never seen a noble lady who isn't particular about food. You don't leave out anything on you plate and that really flattered him. Don't you have any preferences, Lady Ava? I'm sure Mr. Chester would be happy if you tell us your favorite food," Kathy said and immediately procured a small writing pad from her apron.

I merely smiled in resignation. "I don't think it's right for someone to be so picky about food. Other people who are not so fortunate could barely eat once a day. I'm grateful for anything placed on the table so please tell Mr. Chester to just be comfortable with his work and serve whatever is available," I replied.

Upon my response, Kathy's eyes looked downcast and she hung her head in disappointment. "I can't help noticing but Milady is a bit too frugal with everything... You also withdrew just a very small portion from the allowance that the Duke provided for you," she sighed.

"It's a little hot today... I'll rest for a bit and postpone the walk in the garden for another hour," I told her to change the topic.

"Yes milady..." Kathy answered with a resigned smile. She probably noticed the hint that I didn't want to talk about money matters. "We will also prepare the umbrellas and some refreshing drinks for later. Just ring me up when you need anything," she added and left the room with the tray of empty dishes.

After she had gone, I scanned the spacious room and gave a small sigh. I looked back on the past weeks and thought of the long and arduous effort I had to invest to finally be left alone like this.

A week had passed ever since I was able to return back to full health. Sir Pearson had moved out of the mansion at that time and only visited for regular check-ups every two days. To be honest, I think it was rather excessive that an important healer like him still visits me that often. He perfectly knows that I'm doing well and that I do not require further medical assistance.

At first, people found it hard to believe that I would no longer hurt myself. I shook off everyone's doubts by diligently following what I was told to do and showing a healthier mindset by keeping myself busy with hobbies in between my daily regimen. As a result, I was granted some privacy inside my own room. However, the first young master still wouldn't let me walk around the mansion without proper escorts.

Ever since talking to the young masters upon waking up from the coma, I found myself falling into an almost surgical day to day routine starting from morning to dusk. Aside from the fact that I was always accompanied by Kathy and the other maids, I enjoyed freedom as to my choice of leisure time amidst the exercising, arranged mealtimes and a rigid bedtime following a regular sleep schedule.

Despite it being a little strict, I have to admit that it was rather nice. I ate good food, spent my time as I pleased and got along well with the new servants. The first young master, or Sir Landon as I call him nowadays, had been very nice and helpful, a little too helpful perhaps that I find it rather pressuring.