Little Nightmares (Jeremiah)

You heard a sharp shriek from down the hall and jerked up wide awake in bed, mom instincts flaring.

Before you could leap out of bed and investigate the reason for the scream, a pattering of small feet raced down the hall towards your room.

Having a more delayed reaction, Jeremiah rolled over sleepily and mumbled, "Wha's dat?"

Your bedroom door slammed open as your young daughter practically flew into the room, crying incoherently.

"Honey are you alright?" You asked immediately. The girl crawled into your arms with no explanation and continued to sob. As you cooed and rocked your child, Jeremiah sat up dazedly and looked curiously at the scene.

"It's alright, baby, I'm here, Mommy's here," you murmured into the top of her head. "What happened? What's the matter?"

"I-there wa-as, I had a night-a nightmare about Uncle Jerome," she cried, taking great heaving breaths. You winced at the name and your daughter's use of 'uncle' to describe him, knowing it wouldn't go over well with your spouse.

"'Uncle' Jerome?" Jeremiah scoffed. You shot him a warning look. "Well considering he's dead I don't think he's much of a threat doll, you'll be fine."

You cursed the man's emotional ineptitude and slapped him upside the head when your daughter wasn't looking. He glared at you and you glared harder back, looking between your distraught child and her father to convey a message.

"What your father means to say, sweetheart, is that Jerome can't get you anymore. He's gone. I know it's still scary to think about, but Mommy and Daddy are here, and we'd never let him get to you," you soothed the girl.

She sniffled a little and looked pleadingly at you.

"Can I sleep with you guys?" She begged. "I don't want to sleep alone again. What if I have another nightmare? Or Jerome comes to get me?"

As you were opening your mouth to respond, Jeremiah cut in.

"Sure, princess," he said easily.

"Really?" Your daughter asked, eyes wide.

"Really?" You asked, eyes disbelieving.

"With us is the safest place to be for sure if he managed to come back from the dead again." Jeremiah explained. He added at your cutting look, "which he won't do. He's definitely gone."

Needing no further instruction, your daughter climbed up into your bed and clambered into the space between you two. She snuggled in easily and you and Jeremiah readjusted to let her. You thanked whoever was listening that you and Jeremiah had gone to bed dressed appropriately.

"Go to sleep, sweetheart, nothing will get you," you whispered to her, stroking her hair.

"I love you guys," she mumbled sleepily.

"We love you more, honey," you replied.

Jeremiah put a hand on her head and tenderly said, "Your mother and I love you more than anything, pumpkin. Now get some sleep. You're safe."

You gave your man a warm smile and grabbed his free hand in your own. You both watched fondly as your little girl slipped back off to sleep.
———————————————————————
Word Count: 506
Found some old requests and decided to fill one while in a waiting room :)
Stay safe everyone!
Gingy