Mommy Murderer Part 2

"Why did you attack Mr. Grayson?" Detective Gordon asks Owen Lloyd.

"No reason," Lloyd shrugs. "I don't like him."

"I have no idea why he did it," Alfonso Grayson answers the same question later.

"Beats me," replies the ringmaster.

Detective James Gordon rolls his eyes at the obsessive secrecy of the circus, but allows them to depart for the time being.

Elsewhere, his girlfriend, Leslie Thompkins is having slightly better luck as she examines two angry teens for injuries.

"Well, you circus people certainly don't mess around, do you?" She asks as she patches up a male acrobat.

"I swear, John Grayson, if you give me that look one more time I will slap you silly," a girl threatens from behind Lee.

"You wish," John retorts.

"Don't think I can't," the girl warns.

"Whoa, kids, what's the big problem, anyhow?" Lee soothes.

"The Graysons are a bunch of arrogant buttheads is the problem," the young woman exclaims.

"The Lloyds are feckless drunkards is more like it," John corrects.

"So it's a family feud," Lee concludes, checking John's eyes.

"Graysons don't get along with Lloyds. Been that way for years," he confirms.

"It's kind of a tradition," the girl continues.

"You guys fight like this every night?" Lee asks.

"No," John scoffs. "That was just her idiot uncle, doing his thing."

"You know damn well it must be Lila's fault," the girl returns.

"Then you explain Y/N's disappearance!" John snaps.

"Maybe she's doing for Jerome what his mother does for everyone else around here," she insults his cousin. Lee looks over her shoulder at the girl, an eyebrow raised.

"Mary," John warns.

"What?" She demands. John looks at Lee, and Mary seems to follow his gaze, understanding. Lee just pockets the information and finishes her examinations.

"Hey, sorry the date went south," Jim apologizes to her later.

"Are you kidding? Best date ever! Who gets to see a circus brawl?" Lee laughs.

"True," Jim sighs. "None of them will talk, of course. I still have no idea what those two were fighting over."

"I think they're rival lovers," Leslie reveals. "Their families have been fighting since way back, but uh, this particular fight was apparently over a woman named Lila? And perhaps the disappearance of a girl named Y/N Grayson. She's an acrobat, and Lila is a snake dancer in the side show."

"Wow," Jim breathes.

"I know! A snake dancer, how cool is that?" Lee gushes.

"No, I mean wow, you're really good," Jim compliments.

"People talk to doctors," she brushes it off.

"I guess so," he agrees. "I should probably check on this woman Lila and see about Y/N. It might take a little while. I'll have a patrolman drive you home."

"Oh," Lee says, sounding disappointed. "I can come with you."

"Lee, this is police business," Jim counters playfully.