It's My Fault (Pt. 2)

⋆ ⋆—~—~—~ Info About One-shot ~—~—~—⋆ ⋆

Short Summary: Forgiveness

Side ships: None

Trope: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Fluff

Word Count (including info abt one-shot and A/Ns): 5083

Timeline: Sometime after Civil War, where Jarvis is still Tony's AI and vision doesn't exist

Other - A/Ns: Make sure to read part 1 first!!

⋆ ⋆—~—~—~ 3rd Person POV ~—~—~—⋆ ⋆

There were people staring at them, but they didn't care. Tony briefly hugged back, "We should go." Tony said softly, the eagerness to get back to his tower in his voice. "Yeah, that would probably be for the best." Steve chuckled.

⋆ ⋆—~—~—~ At The Entrance To The Tower ~—~—~—⋆ ⋆

"Tony..." Steve's eyes attached to Tony's. Tony avoided eye contact. The car ride to the tower was silent, yet glances from Steve were found in the lack of sound. Tony felt a panic attack brewing in the void that filled his heart.

Steve sighed, not daring to force him into replying. Tony took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts, "Why are you here?" "What?" Steve said, confused, "I mean, aren't you a fugitive or something? Isn't it dangerous for you to be out in the open?" Tony turned his head slightly in the direction of Steve as they entered the elevator going to Tony's floor.

"Most people are used to clean-shaven Captain America so they probably won't notice me as long as I keep a low profile," Steve said, hoping to continue the conversation. Tony did not reply. "Look, Tony, I'm truly sorry for what I did. As much as I want to justify my actions, I know that I am clearly in the wrong. What I did to you was... horrible, and I can only hope that you even so much as consider forgiving me. Please?" Steve pleaded, hoping to everything he embodies that Tony would accept his sincere apology.

Tony looked away and instead focused his vision on the elevator's wall, hoping that this thing would arrive at the designated floor quicker. Steve sighed as he looked at the ground beneath Tony and himself.

The elevator ride to Tony's floor felt like an eternity but, eventually, they arrived at Tony's floor. Tony was the first to leave the crowded, small space the elevator provided. He felt safer the farther he was from... him. He didn't know why he let him into his own home. Maybe it was the hope that possibly this one action could bring the team back together,

Or maybe it was Tony's... feelings... for him.

Tony didn't like thinking about that. He really, really didn't. It was just a fantasy to him. He knew that his feelings for Steve would never evolve to them actually being a 'thing'. It was just his own brain teasing him with fiction. With hope.

Tony sighed at the sight of his empty living room. He looked back at Steve who still stood next to the entrance of the elevator, clearly nervous due to the pensive stance he took on. Tony, feeling the awkwardness of the situation as well, put his hands behind his back.

"So," Steve looked around Tony's living room, smelling the stinging stench of the alcohol Tony had drunk previously, "what now?" Steve asked. Tony looked around as well, thinking of something to say to Steve's query. He sighed, coming to an answer, "Well, you are a wanted man... a fugitive. Anywhere else would be dangerous." "What do you mean 'anywhere else'?" Steve replied, hoping for a certain answer.

Tony furrowed his brows, hoping that this was the right choice, "You... you can stay at the tower... but you will be staying on one floor only, not this one... obviously. I despise resentment, I just hope we can go back to how it used to be. Go back to the old us and just forget about what... happened. It was months ago now, I apologize—" Tony was interrupted by Steve, "No, Tony... d-don't apologize. I am completely in the wrong. Everything you did was justifiable. What happened wasn't your fault. It's none of your fault... it's mine." Steve took a deep breath.