Three

My eyes flutter open for the second time in as many hours.

"I sure picked a good day to get drunk," I say to the air.

Carla surprises me by replying. "You really did not. Divya has been beside herself all day worrying about what happened to you. One minute you were with us and the next second you were gone and any attempt to call you just went to voicemail. We really were about to call the police when you fell through the door."

"What happened?"

"They say you were dehydrated. Probably from the alcohol and then walking too far in the heat."

"I didn't even walk that far."

"Your friend said you came from The Golden Sphinx Hotel and Casino. That's like a twenty minute walk, Bianca."

"Is not."

"Look, only one of us is hungover, B. And it is."

"How are you not hungover?"

"Water, friend. Try some."

I press the clear glass of room temperature water into my lips, liquid relieving my parched tongue and throat.

"What happened to the ring I had on?"

"That piece of costume jewellery?" She scoffs. "I put it in your purse for you."

"It's not costume jewellery. I know diamonds, Carla, and it's real. Whoever's ring it is, I need to find them. I need to give it back to them." An attempt to sit up just makes the room spin again, but at least this time it is less than it was before. "I can't keep it, Carla. It's way to expensive. I need to figure out what happened."

"Whoa, there, cowgirl. We have to get some food in you first. And more water. Doctor's orders."

"Fine. Food and water. A quick apology to Divya and then we figure this out."

"Yeah, of course." But she won't look me in the eye. "Except, well, Divya might have something to tell you first."

What does she know that she's not telling me?

I don't get the chance to ask her before she shoves a plate of food in front of me and drops my freshly charged phone into my lap. "I have to go for a minute and make sure everyone knows you're okay, alright? The call button on the ancient phone here will connect you to reception if you need anything. Please stay sitting down until I get back. I don't want to have to call any more doctors for you today."

I mimic marking an x across my chest just above my heart. "Promise."

"Good. I'll be right back. Eat."

The toast she gave me is dry, but I don't have the energy to open the butter sitting beside me or spread the jam across the darkened bread. Somehow, it is soggy and burnt at the same time.

This is my penance for getting drunk. It must be.

Somewhere in the middle of my sour orange, my phone lights up with a notification. The prospect of eating the solid oatmeal sitting in front of me is the opposite of appetizing, so I take the risk and flip my phone over to see the notification.

Which turns out to be several notifications. First, a reminder that my ex is getting married to a freaking supermodel. And second, some pictures from our drunken night last night.

Divya looks really happy, though, so I guess it's all that matters.

Flipping through the pictures, I can relive the part of the evening I remember, complete with my quick dress change in the middle of the evening.