Fifteen

It might have gone okay, but I can't get the whole interaction out of my head. I'm not the kind of girl who has guys almost fighting over her. 

At least it didn't come to that. I might want to prove I can measure up to Tyrone in 'moving on' capabilities, but I don't want him back. Hopefully I'm just reading too much into a drunken joke.

The bed groans as I roll out of it, sliding my slippers on and wrapping my complimentary robe around my shoulders. "I need some tea."

And of course I've needed tea so many times since I got here that the caddy in my room is right out.

Because of course it is.

I could call room service, but it'll be quicker to go downstairs.

As long as I don't run into Tyrone.

I stop dead in my tracks, staring at the door and back to my empty counter. I take a minute to think, and then twist the handle on the door, taking my delightfully not supermodel hairstyle down to the lobby to order a cup of chamomile tea.

My slippers flop against the floor with each step I take, even the gentle thuds reverberating around the near-silent lobby. There's two receptionists and two bellhops on duty, plus a housekeeper vacuuming what must be one of forty area rugs. I do not envy her job.

A tired voice interrupts my people watching. "Can I get you anything?"

Without noticing, I've reached the cafe. "Just a chamomile tea, please. Biggest one you've got."

She rings up the order and points to the total, fingernails clicking against the counter.

"I'll charge it to my room."

"Fill this out," she says, sliding a little slip across the counter. "I'll get your tea."

She looks about as thrilled to be here as I do, so I quietly fill in my room number and name, signing the slip at the bottom.

She hands me my tea and it almost slips through my fingers as the quiet lobby is filled with the sound of someone calling out, "Bianca!"

Apparently it is 'interrupt Bianca's drink order' day.

The voice is attached to stilettos that ring a clear symbol chime with each step. "Bianca! I wasn't expecting to see you here."

Think of Emiko and she will appear. "Hey! I wasn't expecting to see me here either." Otherwise I would not have been dressed like this while you sauntered around in an outfit that walked straight off the cover of a magazine.

"You haven't seen Tyrone around have you?"

Oh great, just the topic I was trying to avoid. "No, not recently," I say, trying to keep from trapping myself in a lie I can't walk back.

"Darn." Her face falls. "I can't find him anywhere and we were supposed to go out this evening after bachelor party events."

"I'm sure he just got caught up in Raj's awesomeness or something."

"I'm sure you're right." She smiles, but it doesn't reach her eyes.

"You know how those guys get when they start talking about sports or whatever it is they like." My sad attempt to make her feel better is almost certainly not working.

"You're right. I was just looking forward to some dancing, but you're so right. Not every day your best friend gets married, right?"

"Definitely not." The smile on my face almost certainly looks as forced as it feels. Probably resembling the look I wore to my second grade picture day. What can I say? That gritted teeth look was really in.