Epilogue

Several months of domestic bliss later and Enrique and I have a system. We fight and we argue and I occasionally take away his grading and make him do something fun, but we have each other's backs. And today, before we head off to Honduras to see the rest of his family next week, we are getting married in front of mine.

Our parents insisted that since they missed the first one, they got to come to both our church ceremony and reception. Which means our parents have been together for at least a week planning this wedding and they'll never leave each other's sides until this whole thing is, to hear them tell it, done right.

But our idea of 'done right' might differ slightly. So when the night before the wedding arrives and Mom makes me sleep in a different room for some sort of silly tradition, I wait until everyone is sleeping and sneak into his bed. And on the morning of my second wedding, I wake up wrapped in my first husband's arms.

Good thing they're the same man, I guess.

His eyes flutter open as I shift beneath him.

"Good morning, beautiful."

"Good morning. I was just thinking to myself how nice it is to wake up next to you when I know who you are, as compared to the first time."

"Ah, yes, where you told me I'm a terrible actor."

"Was I wrong, though?"

"No." He kisses my forehead and pulls me in closer.

The air smells of freshly fallen rain and the birds twitter in the trees. The sun must be up, but the cover of the forest, the mountain, and the thick grey curtains mean I can pretend it's still night, closing my eyes and nuzzling into his chest, breathing in the soft scent of pine and something maybe lemony.

"You smell like a forest," I say without thinking.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"I don't know. Maybe it is if you don't want to smell like a forest. But I don't think it's a bad thing."

His heart beats in tune with mine, a steady ba-dum against my ear resting on his chest.

"I could get used to this," he sighs, hand drawing circles on the back of my hand.

Twisting around in all sorts of ways gets me nowhere. His determination not to meet my eyes is amazing. So I quite literally take matters into my own hands and reach up to rest my palm against his cheek, guiding his face toward mine and kissing him gently.

"Enrique. You don't need to be embarrassed about wanting to wake up next to your wife. It's nice. I like it."

"Me too. And as much as I'd like to stay here with you, I think I have to go start getting ready for our second big day."

"We don't have to. We could just stay here forever."

"Money is necessary for life. And so is food," I add, realizing that is probably the most important reason we can't stay inside forever.

"I might have understated how rich my brother is by just a little."

"Okay you are definitely going to have to tell me more about your family before I meet the rest of them," I say. "And, if we're going to rely on your very wealthy brother for sustenance, you should probably tell me how long I've got before he cuts us off and makes us come out of the house"

"If we're very careful, he might not even notice us for several years."

"Hmm," I pretend to ponder the idea of staying here, even though I know we cannot. "I still think they might notice us missing our own wedding."