Chapter Seventeen

December 10, 2021

December 10, 2021.

Three days until the anniversary of Kaitlyn's death.

Gunnar recalled every single emotion he felt over the past ten years.

Mournful, tense, crushed, dejected, doubtful, desperate, tense, livid, resentful, and furious.

It was the worse day to relive, but it was tradition for him to do so.

Today was different.

The past two weeks had been different.

The last month changed everything.

He felt a little tense this morning, he remembered seeing a church filled to the brim with people who loved Kaitlyn.

They gave him looks of sympathy and kind words, but nothing mattered.

And then he watched them put her pure white casket in the ground. Genesis stood beside him and they held hands.

The vision of Kaitlyn taking her last breath and Genesis sobbing against the open casket was etched in his mind.

And that's what led him to his addiction. It was too much for him to handle on his own and he pushed God away.

He chose to handle things on his own.

Never again.

He chose to push away the memory that broke his heart every year.

And now, he was going to hold onto the new memories he created with God leading him.

Another thing he noticed, Galia looked different today.

"Hi, dove," He said as he walked into the office.

She was somehow extra beautiful.

Like God put a spotlight on her.

Selene looked up from the computer at the tiredness in Gunnar's voice.

"Hi, Gunnar. You don't sound too hot, are you feeling okay?" She asked, feeling proud of herself for noticing. And for being able to possibly help him, as he'd helped her numerous times.

Gunnar chuckled. "You mighty observant, but I'm good. Just gotta wake up all the way is all,"

Seeing her made the tense feeling in his heart fade, but there was residue.

Eventually, it would fade away.

Selene pursed her lips in disbelief, but the calm look in his eyes made her back off.

Gunnar smiled at her and walked into the shop.

She hoped he would be okay.

However, she didn't get another chance to see him.

He busied himself, which made her realize something was wrong.

She knew better than anyone that overworking to avoid problems only made things worse.