23

3 months later

YOU KNOW how they say that your best days are the ones spent with your grandkids? Well, the first day my grandson is brought into the world has become one of the worse days of my life! I'm a fucking grandmother!

I've never, ever felt this old, as I stand in a room full of my kids, with my grandson in my arms. Shit. Now, I'm definitely too old to be Bethany's girlfriend.

"Alexander, come to your auntie," Mary takes him from me, and begins to craddle him in her arms. There's still a coldness between us, but our relationship is mending. Very slowly, that is.

Jane's husband is holding her hand, and comforting her, while she huffs and puffs as though she just ran a marathon, even though she gave birth ten hours ago.

It's almost midnight, and I haven't checked my phone all day. When I do, I've got about a hundred messages from Bethany, almost all asking for baby pictures. I would have loved to have her here with us, but that's impossible when Petah's here too. Petah has tried to strike up conversation with me, but I've ignored her, or walked away. Ethan's given me a lecture almost ten times today because of it. And Mary, she's just focusing on the baby and her sister.

I snap a quick photo of Alexander, and send it to Bethany, and she immediately replies, making me smile.

"Can't you ignore her for at least one day?" Ethan huffs and I roll my eyes. I stuff my phone into the back pocket of my jeans, and turn to look at him.

"Actually, I can't," I respond. Mary eyes us, and hands the baby over to Petah, who's wearing the most piteous frown. I've noticed that everyone's taken Petah's side, whether they voice it or not. I mean, she makes it so hard for anyone to take my feelings into consideration, when all she does is complain about how she's in love with me.

"You just won't," Ethan says, and I rub my temples. I walk over to Jane, and lean down to give her a kiss on the forehead.

"I love you, sweetheart. I'm going to head home now," I head over to Petah, and she turns away, as I kiss the baby, "grandma's going to come see you when you get settled into your new home, okay?" I wiggle his hand gently, and brush the light blonde hair on his head.

"Drive safe, Ma," Jane shows a sympathetic face, and I nod.

Christopher pulls me into a hug and sighs, "I'm heading back to campus in about an hour. I'll come visit this weekend, okay?" I pat his shoulder, and give one last glance at the baby. I don't bother to acknowledge Petah's waving hand, as she tries to tell me goodbye.

"YOU'RE FINALLY here!" Blue squeals, as I close the door behind me. I got a key to Bethany's apartment a week ago, and I gave her mine the day after we confirmed our relationship.

"You didn't bring the baby?" Bethany pouts and pulls me into her arms, while Blue tries to steal all the hugs that I can give.

"Blue, let me hug your mommy too," I tell him. He shakes his head, and jumps up and down.

"You my Xo Xo."

I lift him up, and place a big kiss on his chubby cheek, "I should be offended," Bethany places her hand against her chest and sniffles.

"Come here," I pull her into me, and we sandwich Blue. He squeals and giggles, and I place a kiss on Bethany's cheek. We've never even kissed in front of Blue, and I'm wondering if it's always going to be like this. I'm sure that us locking lips won't scar him for life. And it's not about us being two women, she said it's about not presenting intimacy to him at such a young age.

"Guess what we're watching tonight," Bethany says. I narrow my eyes, and bite down on my bottom lip. I already know what she's talking about. She's been talking about it for weeks. The first episode of the new season is about to be aired, and let's just say that she's extremely excited, even though she's not introduced until midway into the season.

"It starts with Harriot and end with place?"

"Yes! And my aunt's coming over," I've gotten to know Angie quite well, and she's indeed a big fan of the show. She knows the cast better than I do, and I'm the frickin' director.

"I wanna watch zoowopia, Mommy," Blue leans against my chest, without any hesitation when it comes to grabbing my bra strap, and pulling with all of his might.

"Ouch," I mutter, when he releases it, and it stings my skin. I look at this little bundle of joy, and see my heart inside of his adorable eyes, even though he can sometimes be a pain... literally.

"Xiomara," Bethany lifts my chin, looking into my eyes. Those bright blue oceans haven't managed to annoy me yet, and I find it amazing that she always manages to make me smile, "can you watch Blue's movie on the tablet, while my aunt and I watch the show?"

"Sure," I look back at Blue, "you and I are going to watch the bunny fight the bad guys, okay?" He claps his hands and giggles. We've watched Zootopia about a hundred times already, and Blue can't seem to get enough of it.