Chapter 23

A/N - cant even look at myself in the mirror anymore 3 updates in like 1 hour 🥲

TW - this chapter contains mentions of grief that some may find upsetting

~~~

"There are officially only three teens under this roof, he's joined the good side", me and the twins rolled our eyes at Caleb who was standing while we all sat at the table, "if I had to pick a favourite brother, it would probably be you because you don't piss me off - happy birthday".

"Brought a tear to my eye", Chase said sarcastically, "thanks".

So far, Chase's 20th birthday had been the only one of my brothers' birthdays that had been normal since I moved here; he didn't seem to have such a hatred for birthdays like the rest of them did.

"Being born at the start of January looks like shit", Xander muttered, "you've gotta wait a whole year for your next one". Zane choked on his food, coughing into his sleeve a few times before squinting at our brother in either confusement or fear.

Probably both.

"Did you hear what you just said?", Scott asked, also watching him in concern.

"Yes", he deadpanned, "I mean he has to wait January through to December - seems longer".

"He's right", I agreed, "not calling it shit, but it makes sense".

"I grow more and more concerned every day", Zane sighed, "it's a shame you leave tomorrow Chase, we could've done something more exciting than dinner".

"This was exciting", Chase insisted, "and education awaits I guess".

"Such a nerd", Cay shook his head solemnly, "ah well, it was bound to be one of us". Chase rolled his eyes and stacked his and Rory's plates, pressing a kiss to her temple and standing to clean up.

"Sit your ass down", Scott ordered and he obliged, "why can't you all be like him?".

"Being the family disappointment isn't easy", Xander shrugged.

"Nor is being the second", Xav sighed.

"Or the third", Caleb chimed in and I rolled my eyes, oh please.

~~

It had been five days since New Year's Eve, five days since my kiss with Ezra, and four days since we'd all witnessed Caleb tear up the living room after being forced to hand over his car keys to Zane for the foreseeable future.

I mean, he did put his and the twins' life at risk the other night, rightly so I say.

School started again in two days, and was I fucking ready? What kinda question is that? To be honest, I hadn't exactly been productive while we'd been off school, unless watching movies with your brothers in your pyjamas daily was hard work anyway.

I still had a lot of questions about our father too, but trying to find the right time to bring that shit up was like trying to find a needle in a haystack - so I hadn't dared to. Plus, everyone seemed okay as of now, and I wouldn't be the one to do that; let's leave that to Xander or Caleb.

~

"Here we are again", I was getting deja vu staring at my brother and his suitcase - why did he have to live so far away?, "I'll see you soon, yeah?".

"How long's soon this time?", I asked, already knowing it was gonna be ages - the next birthday we had in this house was the twins' in May- actually, I didn't even know when Zane's was.

"Should be the twins' birthday", brilliant, "but I'll try and make it back before, no promises".

"Okay", I nodded slightly, wrapping my arms around him and squeezing tightly, "love you".