Chapter 24: The Beautifully Ugly Truth

{Charlie's POV}

"Tomorrow for sure, I will tell her!" I announced aloud.

My voice echoed in the cave, and the men in it rejoiced in support. I had returned back to the only people who I thought could help me in this situation: The Dead Poets. Minus Cameron.

"Do you think it was food poisoning?" Pitts asked.

"Maybe it was her time of the month." Meeks chimed in.

"Would you stop! It doesn't matter what happened. What matters is that my attempts to confess have gone missed far too many times. I will need it to be extra special." I declared.

Mind you, I did care about what happened to Valerie, which is why I checked her dorm and her roommate, Rebecca, said she was sleeping.

"How are you planning to tell her you love her?" Neil asked.

"I'm Nuwanda."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Todd shook his head in embarrassment.

I wasn't planning on divulging my plans to any of them, merely because I had hoped to witness their genuine surprised looks. And as far as the plan goes...well, you will see.

[Sunday Morning]

"You're up." Cameron said sleepily after he turned his buzzing alarm off.

"Keen observation. But I'm sure Harvard is not looking for someone with bare minimum human skills." I replied, while putting on my tie.

Cameron groaned and rolled out of bed, "And good morning to you too."

I left the room before Cameron could form another sentence.

{Valerie's POV}

"Wake up. Nolan gives demerits if you miss Sunday church assembly. " Becky shook me out of bed.

I didn't have time or will to protest, so I silently got dressed in my school uniform. I never understood the meaning of gathering together on a painful Sunday morning just so we could hear Mr.Nolan 'Oh Thee' this and that. It was to be more painful now that I was to see Charlie Dalton again after what happened last night. Who knows what Stacey might have told him when I left them alone. She could've told him the truth about everything. If that was the case then Dalton would definitely confront me as early as today. And I am not ready to face the reality of my shameful acts. If there truly is a God, Please bless me with the power of invisibility so Charlie couldn't look at me, or God please, simply kill me right now to put me out of my misery.

I have a feeling I'm being a tad bit dramatic.

I took a seat next to Becky way in the back to spare being seen by Dalton. When I saw his friends walk in I was sure he would be right behind them so I quickly averted my eyes and was now curiously engrossed in the hair of the boy sitting in front of me. Once they were all seated I looked over to see if he was there. To my surprise he wasn't. I can only assume he was late or that he just didn't want to see me after I embarrassed both myself and him yesterday night.

"Now that everyone has gathered, stand up and we shall begin!" Mr.Nolan announced.

...

The minister was deep in his sermons by now, and I couldn't comprehend a single word. The kid in front of me was snoring softly and Becky was playing with her hair, and the only thing I could pass the time with was to look for Dalton. He wasn't late, he just wasn't there. But why? Is it really because of me?

RING RING RING

The minister paused.

RING RING RING