Chapter 16 - The Featherington Ball

The men were dismayed by the question as they kept quiet. Emma stepped over to a blondish and blue-eyed man across the table. She gently lifted his chin to face her as she examined his features, sizing him up and down.

"No to you, but you will do just nicely." Emma hiccuped then pointed behind the blonde towards a man who was muscular with a tan skin complexion. He smiled as he walked over to her and kissed the top of her gloved hand.

Anthony watched as the stranger touched Emma, causing him to clutch his fists from jealousy. He stormed over to the gentlemen standing in front of Emma and pushed him, the man stumbled backward hitting a table.

"Bloody hell, what was that for!" Emma hollered. Anthony swept the intoxicated woman off her feet and threw her over his shoulders. He walked back to the front entrance, Luke thanked him as he passed and suggested to his brothers that they follow. The four men escorted Emma home, traveling through carriage this time.

She laid her head against the window, taking in the view before she was to be locked away in her chamber forever (so dramatic). Benedict set the book from earlier on Luke's lap then went back to fidgeting with his pocket watch. He stared at the book that Emma slammed in front of him, a wave of regret crashed over him as he realized how bad the situation has gotten. She would never forgive him for keeping the letters and it was possible she could hate him until his funeral. He dreaded the future conversations about it all, but of course, he had to make things right.

The coachmen stopped the carriage by the gates of the Harrington home. Luke hopped out and reached out for his sister's hand which she ignored and stepped out of the carriage by herself, she refused his help after everything he has done. The Bridgerton brothers wished him good luck before heading off, leaving the siblings alone.

Emma rushed inside and up the staircase without uttering another word about the whole night. Luke tried to catch up but decided it wasn't a good idea to discuss the issue at hand until the morning. He heard a door close with a bang and then sighed.

Tomorrow was going to be a hell of a ride at the Featherington ball. 

Emma headed to the drawing-room for breakfast, the foyer smelt of pancakes and syrup. The entrance was locked from the inside, as the knob jiggled aggressively. Luke slightly moved his newspaper out of view and looked at the handle.

Emma took a step back from the door and took a deep breath. She turned her body and raised a leg up behind her, kicking the handle with her raspberry-colored heel. Jenny gasped as her sister entered the room, Emma observed the family's doings with her darkened eyes.

"I see what is going on here, my apologies for disturbing your lovely time. It seems I am not a part of the family anymore." Emma sneered as she turned to walk away. "It is not what it looks like, Em." Lady Harrington explained as she stood up.

"You are all full of lies, did father even know the people he lived with?" Emma questioned. She quickly spoke again before anyone in the room had a chance. "Do not associate with me at the ball tonight, I want nothing to do with any of you." Emma demanded as she picked up the sides of her frock.

"You are not coming to the ball.." Jenny murmured, glancing over to her sister to see her reaction. Emma's eyes repleted with confusion as she heard the news, and the beating in her chest stopped for a split second.

"I have never missed a ball mama, I can not afford to miss one now!" Emma shouted. Luke stood up from his spot as well and walked over to where his sister was standing. He place a hand into the pocket of his coat and pulled out a letter that was tied with yellow string.