Chapter 9

Onyx's POV
In the morning I looked at my phone and saw what time it was.

8:43?

I'm never up this early on a weekend.

Might as well get ready.

I got up and got dressed and whatnot. Then I went to check on Marionette. I saw she wasn't in bed so I started looking for her. I found her watching tv in the living room with my brother.

"Hey wanna go see El again today?"

Her face lit up.

"Really?!"

"I mean...she did invite us."

"Are we getting a gift?"

"I was thinking a card since we don't know her that well."

"Are you gonna kiss her?"

My face started to heat up.

"Uh. Erm. What's with you telling me to kiss her?"

"You need to have someone!"

"Like how?"

"A girlfriend! Maybe she can help you stop being mean to everyone!"

"She's got a point Nyx."

I rolled my eyes.

At around 12:30 we went to the store to get a card for Primrose.

"What else are we getting her?"

"A gift card probably."

After we got what we needed we signed it then started going to Primrose's house. When we got there I saw a few cars parked outside. After I parked I got out, then I took Marionette out of her car seat. I locked the car and we started walking to the front door. Before we got to it Elise came running out.

"You came!"

"You thought we wouldn't?"

"Yes and no."

We walked inside and I saw Primrose's dad Franklin in the kitchen. It looked like he was cooking something.

"Hi Franklin."

"Hello Onyx. Rosie is in her room. She's been in there all day."

"Dad she's probably crying. She does this every year."

"She's really gotta stop that."

"Why would she be crying?"

"She's lonely."

"I'll go check on her if you want."

Did I just-

"Her room is the last one at the end of the hall."

I found the stairs and walked up them. I walked to the end of the hall and knocked on the door.

"Hey Prim? I-it's Onyx. You okay?"

She opened her bedroom door. Her eyes were red and puffy.

"H-how'd you know about today?"

"Your sister invited me."

She let me into her room then shut her door.

"What's wrong?"

She sniffled.

"I hate my birthday. While everyone is out partying with their friends I have no one."

"You have your family."

"Yeah I know. My birthday last year didn't even have a party. Plus it doesn't feel right celebrating today."

After that she was clearly depressed. When she stopped answering her phone I started getting worried. One afternoon I showed up at her house. I knocked and Franklin opened the door.

"Hey uh is Prim okay? She hasn't answered her phone."

"No. She's in the hospital."

"What happened?"

"She tried to kill herself."

My eyes widened.

"WHAT?! When the hell did this happen?!"

"Earlier this week."

"That explains why I haven't seen her lately. Have you talked to her?"

"Yeah. She keeps apologizing. She uh..left something for you."

He let me inside then brought me to the living room. He handed me an envelope. I opened it and took out what was inside. My heart started racing. I unfolded the paper.

"Onyx,

I don't know what to say except I'm sorry. Thank you for starting to be nice to me. I know we weren't friends but..I appreciate everything. I'm going to assume Elise and Marionette are still going to be friends. I really hope they do. Please stay in her life if that happens. She really loves being around you. All she talks about is Marionette. She needs people like you around her. I know I should've asked for help. Hug my sister for me. One last thing. Please try to be nice to people."

I dropped the note and ran up to Elise's room. The door was opened so I ran in. I started hugging her. She broke down. When I got back to my sister's house I broke. I still called her phone everyday.

Should I just give up?

One day Marionette woke me up.

"Rose's here!"

I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs. I saw Tyla and Primrose in the dining room.

"Thank god!"

                                Primrose's POV
I got up and ran over to him. I jumped into his arms.

"I'm so goddamn sorry Nyx!"

"You seriously thought we're not friends?"

"Well yeah..y-you're saying we are?"

"Yeah. You scared the shit outta me. Why did you think we're not friends?"

"I-I dunno. I just assumed you talked to me because of the kids."

Without putting me down he started walking.