Meeting Anya

"We're here."

From your place in the passenger seat, you eyed the shabby building and the bags of garbages littered by the entrance before you.

"This is the place you told me about?" you asked as Loid helped you out of the car.

"Yes." Closing the car door and locking it, he escorted you towards the front door of the building. "As you can see, this place is a bit rundown. I guess the orphanage didn't received that much donations to keep everything running smoothly."

"What about the paperwork for the adoption?" you inquired. "Have you talked with the orphanage director about speeding up the process?"

"The director said there was no need and that we can just take the girl anytime."

"... won't we get into a legal trouble for that?"

"Probably," he said, perfectly unperturbed despite the subject, "But don't worry. I'll make some arrangements to fix that."

You frowned at that, but opted not to say anything when he began to ringing the doorbell.

The front door opened and a short balding man appeared. At first glance, you could instantly tell he was a little drunk. You frowned. And to think it was only 9 o'clock in the morning.

"Oh, you're back again," the man said, recognizing Loid. Then his eyes shifted to you. "And you even brought your lady wife with you."

"Yes, my wife wanted to come-"

"Well, it's a good thing you're here. Anya is all set to go," the man interrupted. Turning behind him, he yelled, "Hey Anya, come here already! Your new folks are waiting."

A set of footsteps could be heard. The man then opened the door wider to allow a small body pass through.

And then, there she was. Little Anya.

You took in her appearance. She was such a wee thing. Probably 3 foot long or so with light pink hair, large green eyes and rosy cheeks. She was dressed in simple black dress and wore those curious hair accessories on her head. In her arms held a toy - some strange amalgamation of a lion, a bear, a bat and something else you couldn't quite name.

Silently, you tried looking for familiar features on her face and found none. Perhaps that alone had somewhat eased the worry and suspicion that you felt from this situation you found yourself in, knowing that this child couldn't be a result of a love affair.

Folding your skirt behind your knees, you crouched down to her eye level and smiled.

"Hi there!" you greeted. "You must be Anya - the little girl my husband keeps telling me about."

In response, Anya clutched her toy tight with those large glittering eyes peering up at you. You were instantly smitten at the sight and tried hard not to start gushing at her cuteness.

"I can't believe he failed to mention about you being this cute though!" You then twisted to look at your husband playfully. "Why didn't you tell me she was this cute?!"

Your husband simply blinked at you, not knowing how to respond to that.

"Anyways, I'm Roze," you introduced yourself. "Very nice to meet you."

"...Are you Anya's new Mama?"

"That's right." You smiled widely after hearing her talk. Gosh, even her voice sounds cute! "So Anya, are you ready to see your new home?"

You got to your feet and eagerly held out your hand for her to take.

But you were met with silence as Anya continued to stare at you some more, but this time more in confusion rather than curiosity.

You wondered what she was thinking.

Oh no! Did she not want to go home with us, after all?

Just as you were about to withdraw, the girl was quick to grab your hand. Blinking, you looked at her, only to see her smiling up at you.

"Anya is ready to go home with her new mama and papa!"